Waze in Provence

Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waze in Provence

Hi, we will be in Provence for 4 days with a car (staying in St Remy). Has anyone used Waze there recently or should we purchase the Garmin map update for Europe? We have a Garmin...have the maps on order ($100) but since we will have International Calling am wondering if necessary? First time driving in Europe, have someone with me who is nervous about getting lost! Do not want to wreck the trip....

Thank you!
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 03:02 AM

You can download Google maps or Here to your phone, and download the maps of the area you need for free, before you leave home, and use them offline. You can have voice directions, just as the Garmin would give you.
No need for data, assuming of course your phone has GPS, and most do now.

A good map is always a useful addition to have though.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

How do you download the maps of the area? I have the Michelin map. Not very technical..
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

I have Waze and Google Maps on phone. Not very technical so not sure how to download the maps of the area.. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 03:42 AM

I forgot how to do this on Google maps, but I think if you use GM and don't do it properly you will be worse off.

I suggest downloading Here we go. Then, once installed , go to the menu at left and download whatever maps you need on WiFi. After that, tick the box to use it offline.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Wow, never heard of Here We Go! Takes up very little space. Thank you!
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 05:08 AM

Here We Go used to be what was on all Nokias. Now it seems to be funded and used as the basis of Mercedes, BMW and VWs navigation systems. Not bad.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Works fine on my iPhone . Thank you!
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Just tried it in my car on the way to the grocery. Love the accent!
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 09:35 AM

How about a Michelin map for the area? Costs about 5 €. No reason to be nervous - you just follow the map. And being lost in Provence isn't such a bad thing.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 09:37 AM

I used Waze during my driving trip in Provence, and the experience was pretty good. If you load up your route at the beginning of each day when you have WiFi, it will save the trip in memory and just use the GPS when you drive. Remember to bring along a car charger and USB cable

I also found it useful to use a French voice (Vanessa) for the directions. The English voice mangles the names of streets so badly they're unrecognizable. The French voice gets them right — and as long as you can comprehend spoken French, you'll be fine ("tout droit" means "straight ahead").

Also, bear in mind that it can be tricky using a GPS as many of the intersections have multiple exists and sharp turns. It helps to have an assistant navigator helping you scope out which turn to make!

Here's a blog I wrote about the experience of using Waze in Provence: http://travelhorizons.ourismantravel...-provence.html