Reload this Page >

Waterford, Ireland

Search

Waterford, Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Heidi

Waterford, Ireland

Any ideas on what to do and see in the Waterford area in late November? I'm open to suggestions! Thanks

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:37 AM
debbie

I was there in early Nov 2000. We enjoyed the Crystal Factory tour, as well as walking around town - there is a neat shopping street leading up to the mall. <BR>Also- Kilkenny &amp; Cashel are not far - for a day trip.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:39 AM
diffrent_strokes

Heidi - <BR> just a tip - when you add a post - be sure to mark it as IRELAND in the drop down list. That way it will appear in the EUROPE list AND in the just Ireland list. if you don't , people who search on Ireland specifically , will not see your post.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 08:03 AM
sightseer

While staying in Waterford, we enjoyed a fun evening at Cosy Thatch, a 500+ year old pub (with live entertainment) in nearby Kilmeaden. Our afternoon had been spent at the Waterford Crystal vistor center, which was worth a visit (though I got a much better deal on a John Roche vase at the Blarney Wollen Mills). Blarney Castle is within easy distance for a visit.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 09:43 AM
curt

There is a very good and interesting walking tour of Waterford that is conducted by a fellow named Jack (did not get his last name), an archeologist who has helped excavate a large part of old Waterford. He really knows the history and is a very entertaining speaker. Inquire at the TI or perhaps your hotel can help you locate this tour. We got it through our hotel. Very worthwhile and we really enjoyed it. I agree crystal factory tour is interesting and also agree that it is best to buy elsewhere if you want to buy any. Some neat pubs in Waterford as well. Have fun

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Phoebe

we stayed at the Tower Hotel - they had a great 2 night special when we were there. Right on the water, and had parking. <BR><BR>If you don't need parking ( or are willing to street park) Browne's Townhouse (sp?) gets wonderful reviews. it is even written up in Karen Brown's guide. <BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Heidi

Thanks all! I'm sure I will have tons o' fun!

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Lillie Harty

You could visit the Dunbrody,a full-size replica of a ship that sailed between Ireland and North America in the 1840s.It is in New Ross,a short drive away.Other places to see include Tintern Abbey,about 800 years old and the John F Kennedy Arboreum

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 12:48 PM
David D.

Heidi,<BR><BR>Waterford often gets a bad rap, as it's seen as a place to stay for no more than an afternoon (at the crystal factory), and then ifor most tourists it's off to the glories of Ireland's west.<BR><BR>But don't buy into it. Do see the Waterford Crystal factory (go during a weekday, when it's in full operation). I was there last summer, and I thought it would be too touristy for my tastes. While the tour does emphasize shopping at its glitzy showrooms, I found the hour-long tour informative and fun. In addition, Waterford has a very good cafeteria. Do have lunch here.<BR><BR>As noted, Waterford is more than its crystal. The city features some good pedestrian-only shopping and a first-rate museum, Treasures of Waterford. It's located in the heart of downtown Waterford, and it was recognized as Ireland's best museum a couple years ago. My wife and I spent a couple hours at the museum last summer, and we enjoyed its interactive, multi-media approach very appealing. In addition, consider taking a walking tour of the city.<BR><BR>While you can &quot;do&quot; Waterford City in a day, spend at least a couple days (preferably more) along the beautiful and highly underrated Waterford coast. We stayed at Annestown House recently, and we had a marvelous stay. It features friendly hosts, delightful dining, and a lovely sea-side location.<BR><BR>Go and enjoy Waterford, but look beyond its crystal.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 05:37 AM
curt

Did a bit of research and found out more details on the walking tour by Jack, see below:<BR><BR>HISTORICAL WALKING TOURS OF WATERFORD <BR>Description: <BR><BR>This walking tour takes in two cathedrals, four national monuments, and a gallery of rogues and rascals, all delivered by your guide in a witty entertaining style. The tour commences at the reception area of the Granville Hotel, on the Quay. <BR><BR>Dates: 1 March-15 October <BR><BR>Contact: Jack Burtchaell <BR><BR>Phone: 051-873711 / 051-851043 <BR><BR>Fax: 051-850645 <BR><BR>Address: <BR>Waterford City,<BR>County Waterford. <BR><BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:24 AM
heidi

Curt:<BR><BR>Thanks for the info on Jack's walking tour... seems I'll be there when the tour's not running, but maybe I might luck out. I'll ask at my hotel when I get there.