Reload this Page >

waterford factory

Search

waterford factory

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 09:36 AM
clover

waterford factory

Is the waterford factory in Ireland worth a visit? Are there any discounted or unusual items? Is there an organized tour?

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 10:19 AM
Cathy

Clover, <BR>Sorry to disappoint you but there is no such thing as cheap Waterford Crystal - any seconds etc are destroyed. The Factory is indeed worth a stop if you are in the area - they do tours and have a gift shop where you can purchase items as well. However nearly ever county in Ireland has its own Crystal or China making factory eg Galway Crystal, Cavan Crystal (one of my favourites), Tipperary Crystal (est. by ex-Waterford workers), Dingle Crystal etc, Genisis and Mullingar Pewter is another interesting factory. Most if not all of the above have factory tours and gift shops etc. All are cheaper than Waterford and produce simi;ar items eg at the moment it is possible to buy 6 wine glass for 39 Ir pounds which I think is great value. Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 10:19 AM
Lori

If you like Waterford crystal, then you should definitely go to the factory. it has been a few years, but if my recollection serves me it was an organized tour, however, you went right out onto the factory floor. You actually stood behind the craftspeople as they were carving the intricate designs on the pieces. It broke my heart when, after making a mistake invisible to the naked eye, the person would take the piece he was working on and just toss it into the scrap bin. I do remember one piece for sale in the shop called the Apprentice Bowl, which contained all of the carvings done by Waterford. An apprentice must complete this bowl to the satisfaction of the teacher to become a true craftsperson. Never did see it anywhere else.

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 10:46 AM
Yvonne

"Other" crystal is cheaper than Waterford because it's not as nice as Waterford. I've seen a posting about Galway Crystal elsewhere on the forum--Galway Crystal is cheap because it looks cheap, and is cheaply made. <BR> <BR>The only other crystal I've seen that comes close to Waterford is Tyrone Crystal, which I happen to prefer to Waterford--haven't seen Cavan so I can't comment. <BR> <BR>Belleck has a factory--I think it's in Fermanagh. It's a nice tour and they sell pieces there that you can't get any where else.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 01:58 AM
lorraine

i agree with the other lori, if you are interested in the crystal it was good to visit, i recall in 1991 that the cheapest thing was a butter dish and it was 25 pounds, needless to say i didnt buy anything, but still glad i visited.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 06:40 AM
Anna

The Waterford Factory is definitely worth a visit. Just remember that Waterford is the same price no matter where you by it. I made all my purchases at Blarney Woollen mill then went to the Waterford Factory later in my visit. The tour is very informative and an eye-opener. Imperfect pieces are tossed (literally) in the recycle box. The sound of breaking glass gave me a heart Attack. I enjoyed the tour and got a better appreciation for the beautiful pieces I own

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 07:42 AM
George

the factory is definitely worth a stop however, we've priced Waterford in several places in the US and you don't save anything by buying at the factory. The tour gives you such a great feel for the craftsmanship behind the beautiful crystal pieces. As noted elsewhere, there are no discounts, but you also asked about unusual pieces. In the showroom are some fabulous pieces including chandeliers that are breathtaking. Also, be sure to see the area where they make trophies for golf tournaments, retirements, and other special occasions.