Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Water at restaurants in Vienna and Budapest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I would like to know what is the local custom when it comes to ordering water at restaurants in Vienna and Budapest?

I don't drink alcohol, and prefer water over soda. I don't mind ordering bottled water if that's what locals do, but I would be more than happy to drink free tap water if that's the norm. I don't want to feel obligated to order bottled water if locals ask for tap water routinely (like Paris, London).

(I know I'm being cheap, but I tend to drink lots of water during meals... I can easily drink 750-1000ml by myself, so it adds up quickly.)
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:49 PM

I just order bottled water.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 08:49 PM

Water in Vienna is absolutely safe. Ask for das Leitungswasser danke (ie tap water please) though most places speak English well enough to understand "tap water" anyway.
I don't know the Hungarian, check with your hotel if the water is safe and the correct phrase perhaps?
For those who advocate bottled water, they need to think about the amount of carbon generated in producing and transporting this stuff. It is an environmental crime to drink it. Check out http://www.organicconsumers.org/food...tled020606.cfm
and http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/wat...edUp-tappedOut for starters. It's time we all took responsibility.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:35 PM

Hungarian water is also perfectly safe.

You'll have fun with bottled water in Hungary. Before we visited the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary, we were informed by a Slovak friend that mineral water is a very big thing in those countries, and he was most certainly correct! Every region has its own local types and varieties, and many places you get a choice of flat, semi-fizzy, and fizzy. Our 13yo specialized in trying different types. We try to eat/drink local when we travel, so I don't think we ever asked for tap water, and I don't remember noticing what locals were doing; bottled water, I assume.

Here are some mineral waters that either my son, or me and my son, had (DH drank mostly beer, which I don't like): in the town of Eger, in eastern Hungary: Theodora kereki and Ásványviz. We also tried Parádi, which has a high percentage of sulphur. It tasted ok, but smelled awful! In Budapest, here were some of the local mineral waters that we tried: Natur Aqua Szensavas, Römer quelle, Szentkirályi; Naturaqua Mentes. Based on my trip notes, it doesn't look like our son developed a favorite (his fave in the Czech Republic was Mattoni).

I looked at some of my receipts for prices on the waters. In restaurants, the .25 liter bottles were 325-350 Hungarian forints (exchange rates was about 150 Huf to the US dollar at the time); the .75 liter bottles were about 630-650 Huf. None of us ever ordered soda, so I don't know how the price of soda in Budapest compares to the price of the local mineral waters.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi yk; In the early 90's we used bottled water to brush our teeth. Today, the claim is Budapest tap water is amongst the best in Europe. Here are some facts about Budapest. http://www.budpocketguide.com/guidet...ts_figures.asp We hope to be in Budapest in October visiting our granddaughter for seven days. Will be awaiting your 'trip report' for restaurants. Have a great trip. iris1745/dick
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:20 AM

Why does what you order HAVE to be "the norm?"

This is a RESTAURANT. they are there to SERVE you. they EXPECT that.

If you WANT tap water, order it.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 10:35 AM

yk, I'm glad you asked... I also drink lots of water and rather not pay 3-4 bucks per meal just for several bottles of plain water.

I got nasty looks in Prague for asking and some restaurants don't even allow tap water (since they can't charge money for it, I assume).
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 07:51 AM

In Vienna, it is normal to order bottled mineral water both with or without gas with your dining.
Austrians are said to be one of the biggest consumers of Mineral water per capita.
Few locals would order normal water although the water of Vienna is excelent and comes from the mountains a great distance from the city. It is just a matter of preference and habit.
Some tourists ask for regular water- some restaurants naturally resist this or may even charge a fee for it. Better
restaurants frequented by tourists are much more accustomed to this request for regular water and may seldom charge.

Also ice served with the water is rare.