Warsaw questions

May 6th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Warsaw questions

Before I go and cancel my Novotel Centrum reservation, just wanted to verify that the Sofitel Victoria is a superior hotel in a better location. I found a rate of 55E for double occupancy, including taxes but not breakfast, which almost seems too good to be true.

The breakfast add on is $15 per person so I think we will skip that. I assume that there are other places near the hotel to grab a good breakfast for a bit less? Any recommendations?

I've read varying reports on the Russian market. I'm not looking for any pirated goods, actually looking more for old Soviet items. Is this a good place to buy Soviet stuff or are there better places in Warsaw (or Krakow)?

We will be flying into Warsaw and then catching a train to Krakow. Is the best way from the airport to the Centralna train station by taxi? Should there be a problem getting a ticket from Warsaw to Krakow that day or should I try to reserve in advance?

If we come back into Centralna from Krakow, is a taxi the best way to get to the Sofitel? Or can we catch a bus with luggage?

Thanks!
May 6th, 2003, 08:23 AM

Kristi,
Where in the world did you find that rate? We are in Warsaw in June and I haven't found anything near that at a central hotel.
I still have time to cancel my reservations, so I would love to know.
Thanks, Roy
[email protected]
May 6th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

We are going in late May which may still be a little off season but I found it on Travelocity last night. Today it is gone and the rate is now 145E. Glad I booked when I saw it. It may just be a matter of having some patience, I checked every couple of days and scanned the rates.

The Novotel doesn't have a bad rate either, 78E including taxes and breakfast.
May 6th, 2003, 10:37 AM

Sofitel Victoria is superior to Novotel Centrum (Forum) Hotel, so you definitly got a great price... As background info Orbis (ex-owner) is a share owner of Novotel Centrum, Victoria, Europejski etc.
Star rating between different groups can vary (due to different scales of measure) so best is to compare within one common rating ... Look at Orbis site for their star rating... http://www.orbis.pl/warszawa.html

Location is near Old City (basically half way between Novotel Centrum and Old City) so you can definitly walk to Old City. Near by is also Unknown Soldier Memorial - where on weekends and holidays they have change of guard.

From Airport to "Centralny" you can take either a City Bus (there is only one or two City Bus lines from Airport to City and both stop near "Centralny" ie. bus#175 http://www.ztm.waw.pl/baza/20030505/175/TP-DWG.HTM
- you will need purchase 2 tickets if you have luggage (one for you and one for luggage) at any newspaper stand (there are couple of them at the Airport - on Departure level - which is above Arrivals Level)...Be aware that pickpockets frequent those 2 lines - since they know foreigners will have valuables - so just be carefull. If you like to take a taxi then I suggest using one of the 4 taxi booths located on departure level (do not use any drivers soliciting you at the exit from arrivals). There are also couple of information desks - which will provide you with other options as well as prices as well as point you where you need to go to pickup your ride. From Centralny to Victoria taking a taxi would probably you best option or again you can take again #175 to University Stop and then walk block or 2 to hotel...Again 2 tickets (http://www.ztm.waw.pl/TiP.htm)
Russian Market at the old Stadium definitly has Russian/Soviet stuff - just watch your wallet and do not show your cash around...

Warsaw->Krakow you should be OK (although it will probably be packed) with getting tickets same day. Once in Centralny look for information then ask them where you can buy your tickets (person in regular window may not be able to speak english - so information may point you to international window).
May 6th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so very much Peter, great detailed information!

I will change to the Sofitel, I thought perhaps there was something wrong with it for the rate we were quoted but the rate went back up this morning to 145E.

I think we will use a taxi instead of the bus as we will likely have jet lag, thank you for the tip on which ones to use.
May 6th, 2003, 03:06 PM

just found extra info on Buses from Airport (although you will probably use taxi others may benefit) ... there are 3 lines going from Airport 188,175,611 where only 175 and 611 go to Centralny. Also hotels like Victoria may have a shuttle (it would be beneficial to double check at airport information)... One more thing - don't use taxies parked right in front of hotel ask to call for one or call for one yourself (ie dial 919 which is probably cheapest). One in fron charge a lot since they need to share the profits... Centralny is also a tourist trap - so again you may need to call for taxi to pick you up or make sure that the driver puts on his meter.
Enjoy!
May 6th, 2003, 07:25 PM

Try Airporter Bus. Sevices major hotels. Ask driver or show him name of hotel. Lines at Centralia can be long. There are other ticket booths in station. Again show agent destination. Request first or second class. If over 60 years old buy card. Fares are then 1/2 price. Concierege at hotel can help.
May 10th, 2003, 03:09 PM

Absolutely right on Sofitel. Last year I also got a great price (lots of other good prices around but this was the best). Hotel is ugly building but then Novotel is worse, and location is far nicer. Rooms are fine, of course slightly characterless and my view on internal courtyard - well just keep curtains closed. Breakfast was fine.