Search

WARNINGS FOR BRITAIN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WARNINGS FOR BRITAIN

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-citizens.html

Interesting article from Daily Mail......not sure if I would heed their advice.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 01:12 AM

I havent read the article but I believe most of the unrest was not in city centre where tourists would be. My friends that went into work in the city said all was normal. They have tones of police out now, and hopefully have it under control (fingers crossed).
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 01:16 AM

The Daily Mail is only fit for lining cat litter trays
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 01:49 AM

Just sensationlism to sell newpapers

downtown and tourist areas are fine

things are calming down a tonne now that

they have put some more police in problem areas.

insuremytrip.com is wise for me though
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

The newspaper that gave the warnings was not the Mail....if you read the article you will understand.....blinkers need to be removed!!!!

I live in Cardiff and have had two warnings about possible trouble in the City...one warning was from a local DJ (7.30AM today) who was warned not to mention the riots in UK as the Radio Station was informed by Police of possible trouble kicking off and the other information was from a friend who works in the City Centre who posted a copy of an official warning on my face book page....is this information for lining cat litter trays....what a nasty response.....
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 02:29 AM

crdtny - I dont have my blinkers on - read my posts in the Lounge - the riots were on my doorstep. I live in London.

My colleagues and friends that have been in the centre of London have all told me it was normal, just a lot quieter as most people that dont live in centre were sent home early as transit in outlying areas (mine for example) were shut down at 2pm to stop gathering groups of youth from entering hot spots. A few of my friends that live at Tower Bridge said all they noticed were sirens and choppers, even on Monday night - and they were at the O2 in North Greenwich watching a movie and took transit home on Monday. (the O2 is a 10 min walk from where some of the riots were going on and they felt perfectly safe).

So yes, I understand other cities are having issues and I really do emphathize and hope it is dealt with...but tourist London isnt being fire bombed that I know of. I hope that if they know Cardiff is a target tonight that they are planning heavy police presence. Stay safe!
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for reply jamikins....my blinkers statement was about reference to Daily Mail newspaper cat litter reply....I read all types of newspapers

Most of the police in Wales according to reports(if these reports can be believed or come from cat litter newspapers) have been sent to London.

It may be pure sensationalism I really don't know but I take heed....know what I mean....take care
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 03:01 AM

Definitely take heed! Stay indoors and have a 'relaxing' night in

I just spoke with a colleague who is staying in the Bond Street/Oxford St area in a hotel and has been here since last Friday. She said she hasnt been impacted at all. Everything is normal, just a bit quieter and she has felt completely safe the entire time. In fact she cant believe the pictures in the news are coming from the same city. So I hope that is reflective of most places in London.

Everyone keep safe and please pray that this ends for the rest of us soon!
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 03:17 AM

Nothing is ever the way the media portrays it to be. Something to keep in mind in situations like this. The disconnect between media reports and reality can sometimes span lightyears.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 03:33 AM

Agreed, my brother in law is a reporter in Canada and the truth is 'if it bleeds, it leads' news isnt interesting if its reporting that everything is normal and quiet in central London. Its interesting if its saying 'London/Britain is burning'.

Not to play down the impact to those impacted - it was unreal, but they dont show the normal parts of the city, they are emphasizing the pics from the crazy bits.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 04:44 AM

Fearful people will always find some reason to be afraid.

That tendency is all the greater nowadays, when we all seem to want to connect ourselves, however vicariously, to the latest catastrophe or horror.

"Gee, that coulda been me!" Well, actually, no.

Pure narcissism, 90% of the time, IMO.

Central London is not at risk and greater London appears to be under the control. The real risk is the spontaneous hooliganism that appears to be popping up randomly in other urban centres.

But how many people on Fodors are heading to, say Birmingham???? Or Leeds???
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 04:49 AM

That is not a comment on those posters who are actually living with this situation, BTW.

Press fear-mongering exists because there is a public with an appetite for consuming it. That's my main point.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 05:56 AM

Wonder what the city looks like from the London Eye the past few nights,eh?
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 06:10 AM

Most of the posts here are from Londoners who are defending their city against unfair portrayals in the media, especially the tabloids. But, in this regard, London is no different from any other city where riots or other mass violence occurs. Most of the time, the dangerous areas are in one or two sections of town --three or four square miles, at most -- and the rest of the city is untouched. Most travelers know this and try to avoid those sections, and a few of us might postpone trips until the trouble passes, but we still go. My perspective is limited, but I am not seeing much panic in this country over travel to London or elsewhere in Britain. But I would not dismiss news coverage as fear-mongering. For victims caught up in the violence, the danger is very real.

The media could help put things in perspective and provide a real benefit to travelers, as well as residents of the larger city, if they would print maps of the affected areas, so we do not venture into a dangerous situation. I am not seeing that in the U.S. media. I hope local news coverage provides it.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 06:16 AM

I'm in Edinburgh and the biggest threats are chuggers, flesh eating zombie mime artists giving out leaflets and being drowned in yet another day of rain.

NONE of the riots have been in Scotland or Northern Ireland. There has been one report of trouble in Cardiff and there's been no problems anywhere north of Liverpool or most of England outside a few cities.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 07:10 AM

>>I am not seeing that in the U.S. media. I hope local news coverage provides it.<<

Happy as I might be to have a crack at the US media, it would be asking a lot of them to report in that sort of detail. Our own media didn't go into that much detail during the French excitements of a few years ago. There have been map displays in my own newspaper, but that is, by definition, after the event; and even then can be a bit misleading, since this sort of thing appears to have been hit-and-run in this street or that, expecially once these people are off their home turf, and you wouldn't know much about it two streets away.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 07:53 AM

"there's been no problems anywhere north of Liverpool or most of England outside a few cities."

Rather more than "a few".

Washington, County Durham's a very considerable distance north of Liverpool. Incidents were reported over the past 36 hours in such infamous hotspots as Oxford (at least four altercations, including a real, and partly successful, arson attack on a prominent McDonalds) and Gloucester.

Copy-catting is rife, and personally I'd rather walk at night through central London right now than a smaller town whose police have been dragged off to London.

We're not far off a situation where any group of young people, close to lots of well-stocked shops, with no police around, are likely to decide they can get away with helping themselves to a new TV. Or burning the shop down just for fun.

In some ways, foreign media are actually downplaying things by concentrating so much on London
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 10:20 PM

"Washington, County Durham's a very considerable distance north of Liverpool."

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/l...tion_1_3666470

Washington isn't in County Durham BTW.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 12:28 AM

Well I am at work in the city today and its like nothing happened! Very strange. Talking to colleagues staying in central London and they didnt notice anything at all...

Lets hope this is the beginning of the end of the madness!
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 02:00 AM

"Washington isn't in County Durham BTW."

Course it is.

If Lancashire Cricket Club regards grounds in Liverpool and Manchester as its homes, there's a Middlesex cricket club, university and football association, then Washington's in County Durham.

Washington New Town even boasted of being "Washington CD" (Co.Durham) during Carter's visit in 1977 - 3 years after Sunderland stole it away and merged it into one of those new-fangled pseudo-counties.

You'll be claiming North Berwick isn't in Haddingtonshire next.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -