Warning - beware of SkyEurope's empty promises

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had a big problem with the airline SkyEurope and hope this may serve as a warning to other travellers.

My husband and I flew from Luton to Prague in early November and the following day, SkyEurope rang us to say our return flight was overbooked and if we would agree to a different flight home (two options were given, both leaving at very inconvenient times) we would be compensated by 2 free flight vouchers. They said we could fly on any of their airline routes and any time up until summer 2008. It sounded very tempting so we agreed to an early Monday morning flight, knowing we could still get to work, just later than normal.

We had to spend money on an extra night's accommodation in Prague and also had to pay for a taxi to the airport as the flight left around 6am. If we had caught our original flight, on the Sunday afternoon, we had planned to catch public transport which was a fraction of the cost. On the upside, we did have an extra day in Prague which was good.

We arrived home and were surprised to find there was no email with flight vouchers. We have followed up since, numerous times. We have had two replies. One was from the girl I originally spoke to in Prague, who made us the offer. She said the vouchers would be sent soon. The other reply was from the airline representative in the UK who said we would hear soon. We have heard nothing. We hesitate to call as both times I have spoken to an airline representative, there were language difficulties. They did not speak very good English and I, unfortunately, only speak English.

We find it annoying and disappointing that SkyEurope is, in our view, very dishonest to promise something they seem to have no intention of delivering. We will not fly SkyEurope again. I hope this helps someone else who may find themselves in the same situation.

Kay
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kay, I think you will find you are entitled to more compensation under the Eu airline compensation scheme.
Have a look at www.euclaim.co.uk and see if they can help you.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the website, will check it out.
Kay
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

As a follow up to this, I'd like to report that SkyEurope did eventually come good with their promise of free flights. We received an email a few months after we had given up all hope.

So we will be flying with SkyEurope again - it seems they were just very slow to respond.

Kay
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Good, I like happy ending.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 06:16 AM

We have a continuing issue with SkyEurope that dates back to spring of 2008.
SE cancelled the route (not just the flight) from Krakow to Vienna after we had booked and paid for 2 tickets. After they finally agreed to a refund, we faced hurdles one could only imagine.
"They couldn't refund to our AMEX card, they couldn't refund to a US bank, etc. etc. All lies and delays." But in between the lies were continuous promises of resolution.

Last fall we got an email that we were in a situation faced by "several folks" and it would take more time to resolve.
With the global economic collapse since then we don't expect any refund.
My opinion of SE is that (a) they are poorly run since they don't attempt to resolve customer issues quickly and fairly and they don't provide any means for escalating issues, and (b) they are dishonest.
In the US, we routinely put up with dishonest or bad politicians, but never with both. Think Chicago.
You can decide if it's worth it to purchase via SE.
As Clint Eastwood said "How lucky do you feel?"

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Romingmc - I do feel badly for you and hope you get your money back. I must say, we were shocked when we eventually heard back from SkyEurope with the free flights they had promised. It came completely out of the blue and we had given up all hope. This was months after all emails had ceased because we were getting absolutely nowhere. So you never know....

Kay
(I think after many emails going back and forth, I eventually clicked on a complaints area on their website and gave the information all over again. It wouldn't hurt to do that, if you haven't already.)
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Please note that Sky Europe faces severe financial troubles.

A leasing company recently took possession of 6 modern Boeing aircraft from Sky Europe, the major portion of the Sky Europe fleet.
They have failed to file their financial report on time and are said to be in a frantic search of needed capital and looking to replace the lost aircraft with newly leased planes. Without added planes , their schedule must face huge changes.
With todays banking and finance crisis both seem to be monumental tasks.
I would not book with this airline.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 10:01 AM

If anyone has a problem getting a refund, I'd suggest taking it up with your credit card company. I booked a ticket on a Mexican airline that went bankrupt, and AMEX gave me my money back quickly.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Yes, always put your airfare on a credit card and if there are problems such as on this thread contact your credit card co. But I think you only have so long to do so..is it within sixty days? Not sure but but a quick phone call to ones credit card co. would give the answer.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 05:19 PM

Just to refresh this thread..Skyeurope seems to be on the ropes. Look carefully before you book . I wish I had investigated their financial plight before wasting money on flights from Treviso to Prague on 15 June- the very day the repayment of their (delayed)loan. We booked an Easyjet flight out of Milan as a backup and I guess we will be taking that instead.

Rick
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 01:44 AM

kay, i am sorry for your experience with SkyEurope. i read your story with interest. i heard another story when customers were annoyed. well, i live in kosice, slovakia. my family has flown a lot with this airliner - perhaps 50 flights. and we are very thankful for their service. two belgian men started the company in slovakia 5 days before 9/11. then the oil prices. the whole existence of this company has gone through turbulences. yesterday was a big day when SkyEurope asked the court in Bratislava, SK for protection before the people they owe money. they try to get out of the problems really hard. they claimed that this situation is not supposed to harm the customers directly in next mths. but just couple hrs after this speech, their plane was blocked by the Paris Orly airport. I STILL BELIEVE THEY WILL BE OK AND MAKE THE SERVICE MORE QUALITY, THEY JUST MUST TRY HARD AND DO MIRACLES. that is my own perspective on this Central Europe airliner. PETER,KOSICE,SLOVAKIA
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 02:25 AM

Hi Kay, sorry to hear about your experience with Sky Europe. Yes it's true that Sky Europe has been having financial troubles. It's going bankrupt. It's very unfortunate because I think they could have been a great alternative to taking the train for traveling to Prague.

As for this airline being "dishonest" or "bad", I don't think Sky Europe intentionally wanted to run a dishonest business. However, I wouldn't fly S.E. (although my Slovak friends still do, and even they tell me that they book with caution) because of my doubts about this airline.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:25 AM

A note for those who are responding to Kay..her post is dated 2008. So this thread is over a year old and was revived by rs899 just to bring it to every bodies attention.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:40 AM

In Jan 2009, I booked Skyeurope for July/Aug 2009, had my flights cancelled by them 24th April 2009. They confirmed that they would send refund, I am still waiting.
I have chased via numerous emails, always been assurred by SE that my refund was being processed. The flights were still on their website at a much higher price - spookey.

Learnt yesterday from my cousin in Vienna that they have asked 'for protection from their creditors', and today have passed all correspondence to my credit card company.

Very disappointing as Manchester to Bratislava/Vienna was a brilliant service to make regular visits to my family.

I still wish them well, and hope they come out of this still flying, but I need my money back.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 05:12 AM

A good place to get some insight on Skyeurope's plight is in this PPRuNe thread:

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airpo...europe-14.html

We donated about $200 to their cause- rebooked a flight on Easyjet and traveled 15 June (as that was the witching day I didn't want to deal with any possible disruption). I wish them well, but too risky in my view to use them now. Caveat Emptor.

Rick
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 05:32 AM

i just came back from my vacations in lisbon.

i've booked a flight from Athens to Prague and then from Prague to Lisbon with return on Prague.

Arrived at athens airport,i saw that the flight had 11 hours of delay,(showing 03.30 in the next morning, from 16.20 that was the originary departure time) but they didn't advise us before.

This way i was loosing the next flight to lisbon. After verbaly fighting in the check in counters (initialy they respond that for any problem i had to call to the sky europe call center from my cell phone. This one due to the translocation of flights from vienna to bratislava and the calls from all over europe, was always busy and i couldn't take the line-), finelly they called internally and they change me the flight via bratislava (initialy there was no such flight, but due to the traslocation of flights from vienna to bratislava the flight from vienna had a 4 hours delay and that way i could make it to catch that plane in bratislava airport).

The flight from Athens to bratislava, had also a 3 hours delay (i waited 50 minutes inside the plane with no aircondition and no explanation) but finally i made did it to arrive on time to Bratislava, because also that plane was on 2 more hours on retard (initialy 22.30 from Vienna, programmed 01.00 from bratislava and finally departed at 02.45).

The stress that i passed it was very high as if i had lost one of the flights i had lost, also the hotel reservations in lisbon and 2 days of vacation (the next flight from prague to lisbon was 2 days after).

At the airport of athens they denied me to give food or drinks initialy when they changed me the flight to bratislava.

The worse was in bratislava airport when there was (between other people) a mother with her child under 1 year old. Her flight to Amsterdam was cancelled and the next was 12 hours after (next morning practically). The lady at the desk office of Sky Europe denied her a hotel saying that sky europe is one step before bankrupt and can't pay hotals in this occations. She said also that she was also working at that time without beeing payed.

The return from lisbon to prague had also a 2 hours delay. We waited 40 minutes inside the plane for the documents of the flight. Finally a controller arrived checked all the papers of the flight and remained inside the cockpit for the flight (checking for possible problems i suppose).
Finally all the vacation passed with the stress of arriving and the unknown way of returning
as i couldn't know what will happend

My advise ont use this company even if they give you flights for free. (As i will do this for the future).
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 12:18 PM

No need for that advise. Latest news on Austrian TV (11:15pm CEST), their planes in Vienna, Bratislava and Prague are grounded.

They didn't pay their bills. This is the end of SkyEurope...
Bad luck, if you have a ticket.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 12:20 PM

otrellas, you're one lucky fellow No need to complain. ;-)
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 04:39 PM

I agree with logos999. If you were depending on them to get you home they are basically saying "you are out of luck" If you can't get your credit card to refund you also "out of luck"

I am sure there are a lot of people stranded and scrambling for cheap ways home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -