Walking Tour in England or Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering taking a walking tour with HF Holidays in either England or Scotland. I've traveled in Scotland before, but my only trips to England have been to London. HF offers a large (and to me, confusing) menu of choices. Does anyone have any specific recommendations?

I've never taken a tour before, and haven't travelled alone, but I think the idea of a walking trip appeals only to me. I am thinking of going this fall, so not too much time to plan.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 08:17 AM

skippy04,

I would suggest you might get a more meaningful response if you were to give some information about your interests, type of countryside you want to see, level of fitness etc.

Michael
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:43 PM
ron

I've done a dozen walking holidays with HF since 1995, at 11 different locations. These ranged from pretty energetic walking at Coniston and on the Isle of Arran to pretty easy walking on the Isle of Wight.

I could probably be of some help to you, but we do need the kind of information that Michael requested. And also what you find confusing about HF's information; I find them to be much more forthcoming about arrangements and walks difficulty than any other walking company I have used.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the responses, and sorry if I didn't give enough info. HF's info is excellent, but every location looks great and I find it hard to choose, or even to narrow it down.

I am reasonably fit, walk 5 or so miles every day. I don't want super-easy or very difficult walks. At first glance, I was most drawn to Arran (for wildlife and varied scenery) and Yorkshire (sheep and scenery), but the more I review the material the more difficult it becomes. Cornwall looks gorgeous, too. Is there a particular HF location that you would recommend, Ron? It sounds like the days and evenings are quite full on these trips, and that most are near a town or village so that there are places to go and things to see on the free day.

Is there a big difference in the groups at the various locations? That is, do young people favor a particular location, and older people favor other locations?

Thanks again for your help.

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:58 AM
ron

Good questions. Starting from the bottom, you will tend to get younger people at the houses with the more difficult walks (the two in the Lake district, the two in Scotland and Conwy) and anywhere in the summertime. I usually do the walks in the autumn and spring, and those times tend to draw a 50 and older crowd.

It sounds like your fitness level would allow you to walk at any of their locations. Although, if your 5 miles a day does not include some signicant climbing, you may find the harder walks at places like Arran and Conwy too difficult. The medium walks would be ok.

I have not disliked any of the locations that I have been to. Arran is pretty special, although the walking was a bit too hard for me, and Malhamdale in the Yorkshire Dales is lovely. I also liked Whitby, where I was this past March, for the the combination of Moorland and coastal walks.

I guess my favourite place was Brecon, to which I have been twice. I like the house, I like the town and I find the Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains -- beautiful walking country. I have not been to Cornwall yet with HF, but have been with another company. Hard to beat if you like walking coastal cliffs.

Generally there is no problem finding things to do on the non-walking day. If you don't have a car, you may want to avoid places like Malhamdale or Dovedale, because public transportation is sparse.

I hope this is some help. Again, it is hard to pick a wrong location. Good luck.