Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Planning a possible trip to Europe. Never changed name on my passport!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I am hopefully going on a trip to Scotland in the fall with my husband.
However, I was married a little over 2 years ago and never changed my name on my passport (it expires shortly and I thought I would just do it then). Is it ok to bring my passport plus a marriage license - to prove my name change? (my drivers lisence/SS# card and credit cards etc, all have new name). Or have I been married too long to get away with that? Anyone know what I should do - or where I can get more info? Thanks!!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:27 AM

The important factor is for the name on the airline ticket to match the name on the passport. You could be your ticket in your old name with no problem.

How "shortly" does it expire? Some countries require that your passport have at least six months validity remaining beyond your visit.

Why not just get a new passport now and be done with it?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Call the state department. I didn't change my name when I got married so I didn't change my passport. I never thought about it! No one has ever asked since I look like my picture (sort of).
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:43 AM

One word: NO

Believe me its too much hassle. yes theyll believe you - but after much hand waving and origami, and at every stop itll be the same questioning and the fact the officer will probably need more blood for lunch.

If its more hassle to change passport than this, don't bother. But be warned, passports are taken very seriously as its the only form of ID in UK (forget the US equivalent of driving licenses or Blockbuster membership).
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:48 AM
ira

Hi S,

The name on the airline ticket and the name on the passport must match.

If you will be driving a car, ditto the driver's license and the passport.

Otherwise, you are unlikely to have any trouble.

How shortly does your passport expire? In general, you will need 90 days validity to enter the UK.

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies!
ok -so I could get the airline tickets in old name, but then drivers license wouldnt match.
So I guess I need to update my passport. Anyone have any idea how long it takes? Do they give you an entirely new one?
Also what does 90 days validity mean?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:58 AM

90 days validity means you must have at least 90 days 'time' left on your passport, i.e. it mustn't expire inside 90 days
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:14 AM

If your passport is about to expire, I would get a new one rather than and amended one. (In the past, your existing passport could have a note added to it reflecting your new name. I think this may be phasing out.) The Passport bureaus estimate 4-6 weeks to get a passport now--and it's true--it takes longer than years ago,. However, you can pay double for expedited service and get it back in less than a week.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Just renew your old passport; all the info you need is on the government passport website. You can pay more and have it Fed Ex'd but it is usually processed in plenty of time even if not priority.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Update your passport. After years of traveling with my husband with my married name (because it was also my "business" name), I found the hassle with the airline seating to be worth the trouble of changing all my IDs. If you travel together under different last names and have not made the reservations at the same time (we had different business travel agents), the airlines would always separate us in seating. Carrying around a marraige certificate is just another paper to lose.