Walking the Cotswold Way

Jan 30th, 2001, 11:31 AM
Jennifer

Walking the Cotswold Way

We are interested in walking some of the Cotswold Way. Thought it would be good to have a "home" base and do trips from there.
Any suggestions on location for base? Is a week too long to see the small villages in the area?

Jan 30th, 2001, 11:51 AM
ron

You may find the Ramblers' Association Cotswold Way Fact Sheet a useful starting point: http://www.ramblers.org.uk/factshts/factsh10.html

Jan 30th, 2001, 12:02 PM
ginny

Jennifer: First, can my mother go with you? Only kidding! She has been dying to get back to the Cotswolds to do just that. There are so many wonderful places that you can base yourself for these walks. My suggestion is the small medieval village of Stanton(nr. Broadway). If you like self-catering(I prefer this since it is so much nicer to come back after a long day of doing whatever to more than just one room) they have a wonderful place called the Stanton Court Cottages to base yourself out of or there is a B&B across the road. Most people who have been to the Cotswolds, myself included, will tell you a week isn't long enough. But that is usually the amount of time I have to spend there when I go and you can see and do many things! Hav a great trip!

Jan 31st, 2001, 07:01 PM
judy

A week is not too long. It is perfect. Be sure you do the walk between Upper and Lower Slaughter. It is through fields and meadows (with sheep grazing nearby). Takes about 20-30 minutes and time it to have lunch at Lords of the Manor in Upper Slaughter. What at gorgeous old country estate. Bourton-on-the-Water is a lovely village to browse the day away. Broadway, Stow-on-the-Wold and any other village/town you can get to will be worth it. If you can get to Bath it will be a definite plus.
My husband & I and another couple are planning a quick 3-day visit after spending a week in the Highlands of Scotland next October. Have a great trip!!

Feb 1st, 2001, 12:33 AM
Mike

Ron's advice makes this a little less relevant, nevertheless ...

As you probably know, Jennifer, the Way runs between Bath and Chipping Campden sticking mainly to the western side of the hills. It was designed the other way round, but most people prefer to walk with the sun at their back. The Slaughters may be very nice, but they are not on the Way. You will walk within a mile or two of Buckland Manor, which is a very good country house hotel in a truly lovely setting, if that's your pigeon. What their reaction to hikers might be I don't know!

The route is just over 100 miles. A week is certainly not too long if you plan to walk the whole way. Fifteen miles a day is a pretty good pace. It is not punishing ground, rather it is vigorous.

If you plan to walk the whole way while staying in one place, you will end up doing a lot of driving to/from your accommodation. Chipping Campden to Bath is at least two hours' driving, so you will be looking at an hour each way at some point. I would look to split your stay between somewhere near Bath and somewhere near Cheltenham. Both of these towns are very pleasant stops, Cheltenham not having the obvious appeal of Bath, but being the town I prefer of the two.

If you plan to do S/C, then you'll have to put up with the driving, I suppose.