Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eurostar price if ticket bought in London

Jan 29th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Patti Suttle

HI everyone! I am trying to make our Eurostar reservations from London-Paris (one way) for early July. If I can get someone (a friends relative) to purchase our tickets there would it much cheaper? Does anyone know the price for one-way London-Paris for early July-if ticket is bought in London?
Thank you for any help.
Patti

Jan 29th, 2001, 02:19 PM
Nancy

Just took the Eurostar from London to Paris. We found the cheapest one way price was to travel on the weekend and purchase a round trip day excursion, with no intention of returning than night. Think the price now was about $70, but it may be different in the summer. There is a web site for Eurostar. Also, at times there are promotional fares, so your friends may be able to get one of those.

Jan 29th, 2001, 02:48 PM
Patti Suttle

Nancy-thanks for the reply! We will not be going on a weekend though. So, if anyone knows about the local London fare for London-Paris on the Eurostar I'd love to know!
Thanks-
Patti

Jan 29th, 2001, 03:02 PM
jhm

You should be able to find this information on the Eurostar website.

Jan 31st, 2001, 06:05 AM
Beth

Hi, Patti. The Eurostar Chunnel ticket should be purchased online. Their pricing schedule is somewhat like the airlines, the further out you make your reservation the cheaper/more discounted the tickets. Like the airlines, they make most of their revenue on last minute sales at full price. (Ok, yes, I work for the airlines!!!) I purchased tkts. in December online from Eurostar. They were $117.00 o/w Waterloo/Gard Du Nord. However, also, just like the airlines, they prices have a ebb/spike with the tourist seasons, summer being most expensive. And, again, just like the airlines the discounted tickets are non-refundable, and you cannot change your outbound or return dates/times.

Hope this helps...Happy trails...B

Jan 31st, 2001, 06:42 AM
elvira

Don't wait 'til you get to London to buy your ticket; there are occasional cheapy fares, but it's a few seats on a couple of select trains (I have NEVER gotten one). You can reserve tickets on the UK site, and see any of the current offers:
http://www.eurostar.co.uk/
If you have a rail pass of any sort, check to see if it offers discounted Eurostar fares....

Jan 31st, 2001, 09:26 AM
Marija

And remember to check the roundtrip fares first, even if you are going one way. It's also possible for some ticket types to do the roundtrip in two different classes. For example, the ticket we used was in first class while the ticket we didn't use was in second class.

Feb 1st, 2001, 12:35 AM
Patti Suttle

Hey everyone-thanks for your time and information. I called and was given a group rate (10 people and we have 10 people) of $75 each (one way) from Waterloo to Paris with one fee of $15 in service charges/shipping. I cannot make the reservation until 90 days prior. This is the same price as the "pass holder" price but w/o any pass. Unless I find out otherwise I will book this $75each fare in April.
Thanks for all your help! I still have 5 LONG months to wait!I am going shopping out of town tomorrow to get more travel clothes-it will help with my having to wait!
Thanks again-
Patti

Patti