Walking Shoes...Paris

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 09:52 AM
Jamie

Walking Shoes...Paris

Is it okay to wear walking shoes in Paris with jeans or is that not allowed?

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 10:37 AM
Lt. Costeau

Oh no you are not allowed to do that. You will be carried away by the Special Shoe and Clothes Police (SSCP)and will never be seen again. I understand that there are several levels of punishment, depending on the color of the walking shoes. White ones will get you a severe slap along the side of the head, but the pink ones, on my God, the pink ones - those call for an immediate trip to the SSCP pokey.

Now as for jeans, do not even think of wearing them. In France if you wear jeans you are considered a low life scum sucker and will be laughed at by children, and the housewives will throw rotten vegatables at you as you walk by. Why, even the French Poodles will pee on your legs.

No, when in Paris you MUST AT ALL TIMES wear black from head to toe - black dress, black jacket, black hose, black shoes, or, black pants, black turtle neck, black jacket, black shoes, black socks, and black underwear. If you are seen in anything else you will be in SERIOUS TROUBLE.

You have been WARNED.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 10:43 AM
Sue

Lt. Costeau,

You're pretty funny!!Ha!Ha!

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 11:18 AM
curious

What are walking shoes? I'm not sure they are allowed in Paris, no matter what you wear them with. And Lt. Cousteau (I always thought it was INSPECTOR CLOUSEAU), Jeans are perfectly acceptable if worn with a stylish jacket and some cute shoes!

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 11:35 AM
shoes

Is this instead of dancing shoes? I think the shoe part is ok but get rid of the jeans...black jeans might make it, just-but black pants, a black turtleneck and a black leather jacket will get you by, and don't forget a cigarette, dangling from your lips! Then you will look so French they won't even notice your American tacky shoes~

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 12:12 PM
LGoussard

Jamie:

Do not wear uncomfortable shoes. Just came back from 10 days in Paris and the surrounding countryside and stayed with my French relatives. They wore jeans and looked fine... It is better to dress up a bit in Paris, but there are lots of cobblestone streets, so don't wear shows that hurt. I took some funky black Mary Janes and loafers to wear while sight seeing. I even wore a pair of tennis shoes one day, but they were black and grey and looked like the hot "bowling type shoes" a lot of the young women are wearing. Try and look like you didn't make a huge effort while still looking fabulous and you'll fit right in! Have a great time!!!

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 11:32 AM
SJK

Very funny...

I don't really remember what kinds of shoes I saw people wearing, but make sure that whatever you take is comfortable. I had a pair of well-worn loafers that still looked nice. So I didn't feel uncomfortable having a sit-down meal in a nice place. Sneakers tend to shout AMERICAN in a lot of places. But it's more important for the feet to be comfortable. Metro stops are plenty so if your feet do give you trouble, you have options.

Enjoy the trip

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Jamie

Thanks SJK for your advice! I was talking about tennis shoes (Walking Shoes) for all of you that don't know what walking shoes are.....

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Sandy

To me, there is nothing more important than wearing comfortable shoes when I'm in Europe. Not only do I do a lot of walking, but the surfaces are such a challenge --what with all the cobblestone streets, and the slick stairs worn smooth by hundreds of years of use. I wear a lot of black when I go to Europe, because it travels well and doesn't show the dirt, and I have a great pair of black SAS Free Time shoes that are incredibly comfortable. I have worn them for more than ten years (not the same pair!), and they have served me well. On my last tour, I was in the ladies room with another woman who is always dressed to kill. She was treating her feet for blisters and complaining to anyone who would listen about how much her feet hurt. I asked her why she didn't wear more comfortable shoes, and she said they don't go with ther outfits. It's your choice: looks or comfort? All I know is, it's hard to enjoy yourself when every step is agony. Have a good time in Paris!

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Anna

Take several pairs of shoes. Also foot lotion (anything for tired feet). Maybe bandages. I was in Paris for 7 days and walked from morning 'till night. You might plan a pedicure there!
Dark colors!! (blacks,greys,browns,etc.)

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 01:37 PM
just

I heard these boots are made for walking.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Sarah

I have SAS Free Time shoes ($109 in NYC) they are wonderful. They look a bit like black leather sneakers but support yourself much better. I actually wear them with a suite to work. They also make a model with velcrow. With all the mention on here about black in Paris I highly recommend. They are the most comfortable shoes I own.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Sarah

Sandy just saw your post funny I really did not know these were so popular. I have heavy calouses on my feet sorry to gross anyone out but I feel like they are actually going away. My mother has to wear these shoes (diabetic) and I bought them out of solidarity but now I am hooked.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 02:56 PM
Susan

Anyone else here soak their blistered feet in the fountain outside the Louvre? I made the mistake of going for looks and not comfort. I think you can have both. Lose the tennis shoes and get some good quality black leather walking shoes, like Ecco. They are pricey but you can wear them all day, into restaurants, etc. and your feet will thank you.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 03:00 PM
Sarah

Try SAS Susan they are even better sorry I am a recent convert.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 04:23 PM
Erica

Definitely go for comfort. I was there last November and walked everywhere! I wore riding boots and some cute Aerosoles shoes w/ rubber-y soles (both black) which worked well for me. Also, Rockports makes very comfortable shoes. And I wouldn't take jeans b/c they make for a heavier suitcase. Enjoy!

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 05:59 PM
walk

One does not walk in Paris...one "strolls".....

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 06:45 PM
melva

SAS shoes are the only kind of shoe that I wear. They never have to be 'broken in', you just put them on, and go. I started wearing them when I worked as a nurse, and was on my feet a lot, but I have since worn them for other reasons. They are not real stylish looking, but the comfort level is so high, the appearance of the shoe, is forgiven. And, no, I do not work for the company. I promise!

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 06:50 AM
ereagan

Walking shoes are the only way to go.New Balance makes both women's and men's shoes that dont look like sneakers. if you can't find them locally, call the 800# for a catalog and order via phone

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 10:39 AM
walker

I swear by my Mephisto and I have very bad feet. Pricey but worth every cent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information