Walking Restrictions

Old Jul 10th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking Restrictions

Hello!

I'm planning a trip for my parents in Europe this August. They have never been to London, and will spend a couple of days there. They, of course, want to see all of the sights, but my mother has MS and cannot walk for long periods of time. Does anyone have any suggestions for specific tours that they could go on that require as little walking as possible but still give a good look of the city? Also, does anyone have any feedback about evening cruises on the Thames? I've been looking into it a bit and it looks really nice, but I wondered if its worth it or if you have any suggestions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 04:01 AM

For Thames river cruises, including dining, try:

www.silverfleet.co.uk/

We did a lunch cruise last year and it was fantastic, food, wine etc. For a slow tour of the City, try:

http://www.londonrickshaws.co.uk/

If your Mother has walking difficulties, this may be an ideal solution?
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 04:04 AM

www.walkit.com is a great site for working out walking distances and times
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 04:08 AM

Does your mother use an electric scooter? Many airlines will carry these at no charge, even the full-sized scooters. However, there are several light, fold-up models that we found worked really well, as they go into taxis very easily. Even those without ramps.

My MIL is 82 and last summer we took her to London, around Ireland and back to SW England using her portable scoot. What made it really nice is that I affixed some hooks on her seat back and used her as our "pack mule".
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 04:10 AM

Not exactly what you asked but most major museums have wheelchairs you can use in the museum. You can check this more fully on the individual websites and telephone when in London. Similarly they will allow closer access for taxis if you have low mobility, may need to telephone in advance.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 05:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>They, of course, want to see all of the sights,</i>"

They have 2 days - Your mother's mobility is severely limited -- sorry, but that doesn't allow seeing all of the sites (or even many of the sites) on their own.

Any sort of public transport will be a hassle - even w/ a chair or scooter. London is huge, and congested and getting from place to place is tiring. I HIGHLY recommend they hire a private driver guide to take them around.

Something like http://www.driver-guides.org.uk/index.html http://www.car-tours.com/ -- It would be best if anyone you hire be a Blue Badge Guide . . . .
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 05:51 AM

Well, while you could never see "all" the sites in London in a week, with MIL, in 2 days, she saw Buckingham Palace changing of guard, Tower of London, Parliament, Westminster, St. Pauls, a few strolls down the Thames, Trafalgar Square, some of Hyde Park.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 06:01 AM

The hop-on hop-off bus will show you all the major sites, while sitting down.

Pick a few you want to see further and get off the bus for those. As has been said most places will lend you a wheelchair if you need it - and all have seating.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Hi NDR -

Lifeman is spot on that a lunch Thames cruise is the best way for your MIL to see as much of London as she can with her limited mobility. There's really no need for the extra expense of hiring the private driver that Janisj suggested. Hope you have a fab time!
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Of course a Thames cruise is a good thing. Be aware that the Thames is tidal and if the tide is low the walk down to the floating boat docks can be a bit steep. So I'd definitely note how high the cruise boats are floating before deciding. If the tide is out, then wait until another time after it rises a bit.

Just how little walking are we talking about here? Is she quite restricted, or does she just get tired easily and need to sit/rest frequently. There is a difference. If she needs a chair or has real mobility limitations - a driver guide is really the best option. While it is an extra expense, it can make a huge difference.

If she just tires easily but can walk/be out all day long then a guide maybe isn't necessary - as long as they go slow and stop frequently. Of course that means they won't see as much. Also - how is she w/ stairs? The H-o-H-o buses have a spiral staircase to the upper deck. They can sit downstairs of course, but the visibility from the lower level is not good.

So it is really a matter of degree - if she is pretty mobile - fine. If not, you can't imagine how much easier a guide makes things . . . .
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM

BTW - the meal cruises are not the best idea IMO. The food is not great and they cost a lot more. Plus you are sitting eating and only seeing glimpses of the sites going by, whereas the regular cruises concentrate more on the views/bldgs/commentary. Have a better meal on land and then take a cruise . . .
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 09:15 AM

And be sure to take them up on the London Eye, a huge Ferris Wheel on the Thames in the heart of everything - you can indeed see all the famous sights from the top of the ride. Huge cabins and i would be certain that they would accommodate any special needs.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM
yk

I highly recommend riding the public buses instead of tackling the tube. There are bus stops every few blocks, no need to climb up/down stairs or long corridors to change lines. The London buses are "kneeling" buses too. here's the Dummy version of London bus lines for tourists:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...al_bus_map.pdf
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 12:34 PM

I really, really, really, think YK's totally wrong on this.

First <b> it's just not true that "The London buses are "kneeling" buses" </B> . Some are: many aren't. The (mercifully few) remaining Routemaster double-deckers are about the most disability-unfriendly form of public transport anywhere in Western Europe, for example.

Second, London's buses are often horrendously crowded. It's by no means guaranteed the parents of the pampered brat who's sitting in the seats reserved for people with mobility problems will tell the little sod to show some respect and stand up - and perfectly likely they'll smile indulgently when the sod says he knows his rights under the Children's Act and why doesn't that stupid old lady stand up for him? Of course a 75-year old man with a walking stickl will instantly stand up: but it's embarrassing

Even with civilised fellow-passengers (almost certain if they're all recentish immigrants) the buses'll often be crowded and getting on will be a jostle.

Now with mobility probs, given a bit of research, the sheer density of central London buses means they'll often be THE solution for those infuriating couple of hundred yards that are just too far for someone who's walked too much round the Tower or the British Museum already today. So it's well worth doing the basic research. And public buses are perfect for the mobile, and in the suburbs. But they cannot be the main form of transport in the centre for people with mobility probs unless one of you has a Master's degree in London busology.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 04:52 AM

I agree with Flanner. With MIL, it was much easier to go to a site in a taxi, do the quick unload, visit, then get another taxi (if we were going any distance more than say 1 kilometer away). Remember, she had one of the very light, foldable scooters. Normally the 3 ladies would get the seat and I'd sit on the scoot while in the cab and it worked well.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 05:02 AM

A nice way to see the sights -- not visit them, but at least see them so you have some mental image to come home with -- is to take one of those 2-ish hour bus tours with a guide narrates what you're looking at and gives little anecdotes, etc. I particularly like taking these the first night I'm in a new city to get an overall feel for it. The bonus, in your parents' situation, is that there is no walking at all once you're on the bus.

Last September I enjoyed such a tour in London. It left from Victoria Station, and there was an office there where you bought tickets for it. I'm pretty sure it was:
www.london-by-night.net
If you think they may prefer to retire early rather than go out at night, you might see what daytime equivalents are available.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 07:23 AM

I have always been amazed at how few, relatively, Tube stations have lifts and thus are handipcapped accessible. so the Tube is often not an option even if you want it to be.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 07:37 AM

Some of the underground is 146 years old and much of the rest is fairly old so this isn't the time to have another go about how antiquated everything is in England. There is a programme to provide step free access but it will take time and money. By next year 25% of stations should have step free access.

The OP hasn't specified how much help his or her mother needs but there is a lot of information on the Transport for London website in the Getting Around section.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/default.aspx

There is a lot of useful information here probably the accessibility section will be of most use initially.

Flanner may be exaggerating but even in August travelling on buses at busy times may not be easy. There are designated seating areas for those in need and most people are considerate. To be fair to mothers and children the newer buses with the engine in the rear are not such a smooth ride and children can be thrown when the bus stops abruptly.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Have now seen that the OP plans to be in London for two days so Hop on Hop Off or taxi most useful. Info from post re going to Normandy.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Having ridden in a bendy bus with a fellow in a scooter, the ride is by no means fun for someone like OP's mum if she's on wheels of some sort, as opposed to crutches or walker or just needs lots of rest breaks. One full 90-degree left on the bus sent the old boy I referred to sprawling into the window and me (we were standing nearby with our stroller out of the aisle for our little feller). The gent was more than a bit embarrassed at having to be lifted up by the random stranger he crashed into. Every bump thereafter was unpleasant for him.

Janis' suggestion for a driver seems sound.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -