Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Walking recommendations Sardinia from Lonely Planet

Old Nov 20th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This article http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20...il-in-sardinia appeared on the BBC's international's web site and on Lonely Planet and recommends 3 of the best and most popular and easy walks on Sardinia's east coast. A good guidebook describing these and many other walks is
http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/de...ng-in-sardinia

Peter
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 03:09 PM

Peter, you mentioned in another discussion that you & your wife have a guesthouse. I am a single woman who backpacks for 6 weeks & am planning to get to Sardinia at the beginning of July. Is it hard to get to guesthouses & such on public transportation? Which town is your guesthouse in (if you don't mind me asking?)
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 03:25 PM

I don't think Peter has posted in a couple of years. Why don't you click on his name to see his web site in his profile.
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi, I have been posting but only to answer ?? about activities/sports, not to advertise our guesthouse. In sardinia with public transport:
o The Lonely Planet guide says, “GETTING AROUND If at all possible it is preferable to have your own car in Sardinia. Getting around the island on public transport is difficult and time-consuming but not impossible.”
o the Pietra di Luna climbing guide says " It’s hard to reach the various climbing centres using public transport".
o The only walk of the three recommended by Lonely Planet http://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/sa...affil=bbctrv-e whose start you can get to by public transport is the one to Gorroppu. There’s one bus a day from Lotzorai (where we live) which leaves at 0530. Paddy who wrote the Cicerone guide used the buses, but most holidaymakers are not that keen…
cheers Peter
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 03:52 PM

May seem off your target but as a past resident of Sardinia and a hiker, I found taking the ferry to Corsica far more rewarding for hiking and climbing. Better scenery and more varied and interesting terrain. A rental car makes it far easier and less time consuming.