towns and cities and also to wear in
the country side on short hikes and
walking over rough terrain.
Something not too clunky looking.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Lee

May 29th, 2000, 09:43 AM
Nick

Rockport ProWalker shoes suit me pretty well. They are light weight, durable, and come in several decent-looking styles, but they make my feet sweat a bit.

May 29th, 2000, 09:52 AM
Daniel

I've sworn by Rockport shoes ever since I made the mistake of walking 70 blocks in Manhattan several years back in what I thought were decent walking shoes. The nice thing about Rockport is that even if you don't buy just their ProWalker line, all the shoes are great for walking. I tend to buy shoes that fall between dressy and casual so that I can feel comfortable both in taste and physicallly. Many are also waterproof. I had one pair that I wore almost every day for 5 years and they still held up.

May 29th, 2000, 10:11 AM
Lee

Thanks guys for the info. Did I mention that I was a female <g
Do these Rockport shoes come in women's styles?
Lee

May 29th, 2000, 11:46 AM
Judi

Lee, I have a pair of black nubuck Rockport lace ups that I always take to Europe. Those and my black microfiber raincoat constituted my uniform for three weeks in Ireland. Rain didn't hurt them. I know you will have a great time in Ireland. It is such a wonderful country!

May 29th, 2000, 03:01 PM
marylouise

Hi Lee, I haven't tried these out in Ireland yet but I plan on doing so in June. I own a very comfortable pair of gortex "country walkers." They are waterproof,breathable and light. They are advertised as an on-off trail shoe. They are for women and look fine with a pair of slacks like dockers. I wouldn't pair them with a dress or skirt though! Mine are the oxfords-- actually on sale at the moment! Good luck.

May 29th, 2000, 04:36 PM
Lee

Hi Marylouise,
Your country walkers sound like just the thing. What brand name are they? Have a wonderful time in Ireland.
Judi, I have 'half' my uniform!! I have my gortex rain jacket<g But I'm going to be optimistic and hope I don't need it!!

May 29th, 2000, 04:55 PM
marylouise

Hi Lee
I realize I omitted the most important info from my message...sorry!....they're from LL Bean.
Gore-tex Country Walkers and are on sale at the oment for $69. I ordered a 1/2 size up and wear them quite comfortably with a medium weight sock as they recommended. The style comes in a "chukka" style but I have the oxford . Happy travels!
marylouise

Aug 18th, 2000, 06:22 AM
don

I was a big Rockport fan until I just got my first pair of ecco's. They are unreal. About 50% more in price but wow-what a walking shoe.

Aug 18th, 2000, 06:55 AM
frank

Clark's are tough enough to take abuse from "light hiking" but you problem may well be water, not the roughness of the path.
If you are walking in peat bog then you will need proper waterproof boots.
Nowadays these are made very light so taking an extra pair isn't a prob.
Also, Rockports tend to be lighter than Clarks, so perhaps a pair of Rockports & a pair of light waterproof boots is the answer.

Aug 18th, 2000, 09:05 AM
Mary Beth

Just came home from wearing ecco x tracks for two weeks in Ireland. I wore them from Dublin to Doolin and never felt out of place. Light weight and extremely comfortable. Nothing will ruin your vacation more than blisters. I gave them a few coats of waterproof spray when I bought them even though they are gortex. Expensive but you can find them on sale.

Sep 16th, 2000, 02:02 PM
Cat

Ecco's??? Where does one find there. I was just going to go with my trust ebasics --- but I doubt they are waterproof...

Sep 18th, 2000, 02:03 PM
lisa

New Balance also makes a great waterproof Gore-Tex walking shoe/hiker -- I bought a pair last year before going to Costa Rica and they served me very well walking through the wet rainforest and kept me dry. They are very lightweight and breathable and comfy in both warm and cold weather.

Sep 18th, 2000, 02:40 PM
Janice

shoesforlife.com

They have everything - discounted - no shipping. Once you know your size, it's the best possible arrangement.