Reload this Page >

Looking for well-located attractively-priced hotel in Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
annieladd

I'm checking fodors, trip advisor, etc., but would appreciate your ideas.

- 150E +/-
- need elevator (a few stairs are fine)
- would love a shower with a door or curtain, but maybe too much to ask ?
- tv w cnn/bbc
- would like to be w/in a 5 minute walk of sites, restaurants, shopping
- safe surroundings to walk home at night

We'll be there in September, so I don't know that a/c is much of a consideration.

Looking at Hotel Casci, Hotel delle Arti, Hotel Silla, and others, but would like your ideas. Thanks, annieladd

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 04:17 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
We paid 130 Euro/night for an absolutely beautiful, perfectly located, simply delightful suite (with large bathroom) here in October. I can't recommend it highly enough!
www.florencegrandtour.com

We stayed in the Actor Suite, but they're all lovely.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stayed last year at the Hotel Pendini which comes up for July at about $120 per night on venere.com I was happy with the location (right on the Pza. Repiblica which is only a few minutes walk to both the Duomo and Pza Signioria. I was also concerned about safety at night since I was traveling alone and I always felt safe since it is an area with many people around until late at night. It is not particularly fancy but always seemed clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and there was an elevator.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 04:41 PM

Your first listed hotel,Casci, is the place to go-see my review. Like you, I travelled the websites looking for a great hotel in Florence for last October-my B&B in Rome came from my former neighbor & in Venice we went w/the Westin Europa.I trusted the many excellent reviews of Casci & found a wonderful hotel I will stay at again & again. Good luck.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 05:05 PM
MaureenB

We liked our room at the Relais Cavalcanti, which is close to the Uffizi, and very central. It has an elevator (but you walk up about 12 steps), AC, shower with glass doors, etc. Very charming place.

This is from my trip report:
"We took a short cab ride to the Relais Cavalcanti. a very charming little 'hotel', at Via Pellicceria, 2. It occupies one floor of a building located near the Uffizi gallery, in a very good central location. Because my daughter had just finished her semester in Florence, she was able to recommend her favorite location in town for lodging.

The Relais Cavalcanti building has been in the same family's ownership for 100+ years, the owner/manager of the new-ish Relais is Francesca. She said she inherited this one floor of the building, so she recently renovated it to create a little hotel. It's relatively new, with beautiful tile bathrooms, showers, etc. The rooms are very charming, and good-sized. Our rate for a double/twin was 120EUR, which included an extra 10EUR/day for the better view. Francesca also offered a 5 percent discount for payment in cash.

You have the feeling of entering a very nice, private Italian home, when you unlock the Relais door and smell the potpourri set out on the beautiful tables in the hallway and entry way. It has a small elevator and a/c, too. No breakfast is served, but even better I think is that they have a beautiful little dining room/kitchen that is open 24/7 for guests. You have always available the makings for coffee, hot chocolate and tea, plus containers of pre-wrapped pastries and dessert cakes. That's about as much as you get in any Italian B&B for breakfast, and this way you can serve yourself whenever. One evening we bought wine, cheese, bread, and fruit and enjoyed our own private time in this beautiful room.

The only thing to be aware of at Relais Cavalcanti is that the first floor of the building is the Old Stove Irish pub. The good news is that it's a decent little place for panini, and has free wi-fi. However, it attracts a lot of students and young people, so it is quite noisy into the early morning hours. Our room window was directly above the pub's patio, with a nice view of adjoining rooftops. The double windows, plus the wooden shutters, can block out about 90 percent of the noise from the pub below. I found that I could also turn on the a/c fan in our room, which would then totally cover any outside noise.

Francesca also cautions her prospective guests that she does not staff a 24/7 front desk. She is there during posted hours, mostly till 6 p.m., and has an emergency number on the door. But she is careful to tell guests that hers is not a hotel with full-services at night-time. I highly recommend the Relais Cavalcanti."

If you Google it, you'll find their website. I don't have the URL.
>-

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Try the Tourist House Ghiberti, about a block away from the Duomo, which is a very central location. A small B&B on the second floor of an old building, but completely renovated. Large rooms with flat screen TVs, amazing beds, and free internet. The young couple who run the place are quite informative about Florence and environs.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:29 PM

I think that Hotel Casci is a great hotel - clean, affordable and a good location.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 02:27 AM

Only suggestion:

http://www.tuscanweb.com/property/?ID=4248

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:22 AM

Hotel Casci!!! Been there FOUR times, loved every minute.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:26 AM

September is high season yet in Italy so prices will be up there as well. We stayed at Hotel Accademia last year; well priced, very well located near the cathedral, medici chapels and just a few blocks from Accademia, Uffizi, etc. The do not have an elevator and there are stairs up to the reception area so I guess it depends on what you define as 'a few'.