Walking from the bus stop in Siena

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be taking a bus into Siena that drops us off on Via Tozzi. We're heading to the Campo, more specifically Via Di Citta (at the intersection with Via della Terme). We'll have our rolling bags with us. According to google and via michelin it's less than 1/2 mile. That's easily walkable for us in the US, but I read that Siena is very hilly, so this might be difficult with our bags.

Another option is getting off at Porta Pispini & taking the #52 to Logge del Papa. How small are the Piccolinis? Can you bring bags on board (assuming not rush hour)?

Any insights? Should I just plan on getting a taxi? Can you tell I'm one of those people who hates taxis? Only one I want to jump into is the Cash Cab in NYC or Chicago!
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 10:47 AM

We have no insights but we're in a somewhat similar situation so we can sympathize: We'll be arriving by bus from Rome and staying at Siena's Palazzo Ravizza, and trying to pick the closest of five bus stops to the hotel. I've just emailed the hotel with my inquiry and I assume they'll come up with an optimum answer.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 12:42 PM

We arrived in Siena by bus in May. Our Siena map shows Via Tozzi to be at Piazza Gramsci, which is the main bus stop in Siena. That's where we got off the bus from Florence, and that is where we would have taken the bus going to Rome.

Floridacouple, your walk is an easy one with the slightest downhill grade, really really slight. And it is not far at all.

Monun, we stayed at Palazzo Ravizza also and walked to the hotel on the advice of the tobacco shop owner near the bus stop. It was a very enjoyable walk with our rolling bags. Maybe 15- 20 min. walk. After you reach Via di Cita there is a slight incline for a block or two, then a slight decline, but none of this is what I would call hilly. Siena is indeed hilly, but this area where you will be walking is not like other sections of Siena.

After getting off the bus, head toward Banchi di Sopra to Via di Cita (which runs along the Campo) which becomes Via di Stalloreggi which deadends at Pian dei Mantellini. Turn left on Pian dei Mantellini and Palazzo Ravizza will soon be on your right.

The walk from the Campo to Palazzo Ravizza is only 10 minutes.

We ended up taking the train to Rome from Siena and definitely wanted a taxi to get to the train station.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Oops. Hate it when I make a spelling error. It's Via di Citta.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 01:22 PM
ira

Hi FC,

Plug in your starting point and destination at www.maps.google.com.

There is a bus stop about a block from your destination.

Old Jul 9th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the good news and advice!

The Piazza Independenza stop is very close to where we're staying, but our drop off (Gramsci)is not a stop on the lines that go through here.