Walkability in Porto??

Search

Walkability in Porto??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2023, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walkability in Porto??

Was wondering if I needed to get a travel card for public transport in Porto...our hotel is a 10 minute walk Ponto do Freixo and also 10 minute walk to the Campanha train station...I'll need public transport to get to and from the airport but was wondering if we (active seniors) would need to get a card for 3 days to get us to and from sights using Metro, buses,etc. Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 02:09 PM

You might want to give your precise location - - it sounds like you are well east of center, but in any case, I found the 3-day travel card to be exceedingly useful, and I was staying super central near the Bolhao market and Metro. Campanha and Porto do Freixo are not really central, and you will find it really worthwhile to pick up the Metro from there, and learn the local busses, to make getting about handy.
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 05:54 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
There are three main train stations in Porto; São Bento, Campanhã and Vila Nova de Gaia.

São Bento is located in the center of Porto, and you can easily walk to most attractions in Porto city center from there, if you have no physical limitations. We based very near São Bento for our five nights in Porto and walked everywhere, with the exception of the day we took the train to Guimarães, and the day we took the bus to/from the beach.

Campanha is a neighborhood in Porto, away from downtown, so yes, you'll need transport to/from the main sites of downtown Porto, but once there, you can pretty much walk to just about everywhere, keeping in mind there are some significant hills.

So it really depends on what you plan to see and do while there and how often you plan to use public transport.
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Melnq8 for the info--looks like we should get the adante 3 card that is good for 72 hours and is only E15 and will get us from the airport to our hotel on the first day and then be useful the next 3 days to get around town. It will be worth it just to have and no worry about individual tickets each day which can be a hassle.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 06:05 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I just checked my trip report to see the cost of our transport for our five days in Porto - we purchased train tickets from the airport to the city - 4.65 for two of us, we took the 500 bus to Foz do Douro and return (2 each) and we took the train from Porto to Guimarães, (14 for two, round trip, took about 1:20).

That was it for us.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 11:34 AM
mjs

We did not use the subway or bus while in Porto as we were very centrally located. Did use Uber as it is quite inexpensive to/ from airport and a few other times when we did not want to walk up more hills.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 07:15 PM

We did not use any public transport while we were in Porto, as we simply walked everywhere. It is however very hilly and we were really pretty tired at the end of the day.