Notices

Walk from Nice to Monte Carlo?

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Wm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walk from Nice to Monte Carlo?

We will be in Nice for five days the end of May. Could someone please advise how long it takes to do the walk from Nice to Monte Carlo?
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 02:58 PM

I don't even know that it's possible, but to give you an idea, my husband and I once walked to St. Jean Cap de Ferrat from Nice on a semi-path along the corniche ( a heavily congested road that winds along the coast) and that took us two hours. St. Jean is roughly half-way ( I think) between Nice and Monaco. There is very good train service between the two cities- about 20 minutes.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Interesting. I've never heard of anyone walking between the two. I'm not sure how walker friendly some of the road is between the two, or are there some hiking trails along some of the coast that keeps you off the road?
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Aren't there a couple of tunnels one must go through along the way and I don't know how safe it would be.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Nice to Monte Carlo is about 19 km, and Nice to St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat is 11 km, so basing on Weadles experience, it will probably take you 4 hours!!
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM

We were there last year and drove the coast road from Monaco to Nice and back. I can't even begin to imagine that you can walk between the two. By coach it took probably 40 minutes. Some of the roads are along sheer cliffs straight down to the sea. Where did you hear of being able to walk between the two places?
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 06:39 PM

It would be a challenge to walk from one end of Nice to the other let alone try to get to Monaco.

I think you can get to Monaco either by the autoroute and there are most certainly tunnels to go through or the "local streets" through Menon etc. But, it is definitely not walkable or even advisable. What I remember about Monaco( and I drove there from San Remo) is that it is extremely hilly and the roads don't exactly go in a straight line. You need to rent a car, but of course that is not for the faint of heart.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 02:07 AM

If you are looking for hiking trails, buy one of the excellent IGN maps which are available in supermarkets, bookstores and gas stations.

There is a trail around Cap de Nice:

http://www.cdrp06.org/randonees.htm#agneliere

There is also a coastal trail around Cap d'Ail (in between Nice and Monte Carlo):

http://www.randoxygene.org/pge/rando...rique=1&zone=3
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 04:23 AM

Search previous posts, too written by PALENQ, who's described many of the hiking trails in the area. And if you're interested, and VERY careful, it IS possible to walk between Nice and St. Jean, and there is a bus back to Nice.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Take the train or bus. Save your energy for walking around the palace grounds. The weather should be perfect. I just returned from Nice last night and it was beautiful every day except for light rain for about one hour on Monday.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:40 AM

From the Cap d'Ail train station there is a paved footpath right along a tremendously scenic and untouched stretch of the Riviera - it's only about two miles so at least you can do that - ending up in Monte Carlo
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Wm
Original Poster

PalenQ ~ Thanks! That's exactly the info I needed.

I don't think I posed my question very well--sorry for the confusion.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:01 PM

There is supposed to be a similar walk east of Monaco along the sea but i have not taken that one yet

I've down the Cap d'Ail to Monte Carlo walk a few times and it really is gorgeous - untouched Riviera and azure-hued clear water - isolated swimming holes, etc. (expect to see skinny dippers possibly) - bring a picnic, etc.

From Cap d'Ail station walk down towards the water and turn left.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 06:26 PM

Thanks to PalenQ I did this walk last summer! I was based in Villefranche.

One Sunday I walked from Villefranche (less than 10 minutes by bus or train from Nice)to Cap Ferrat to the Rothschild Gardens- that was glorious, with an early dinner at the "Cap" admiring the yachts. I took a bus back, although that was an adventure on a Sunday.

The walk from the train station to Monaco was mostly level and passed beautiful mansions, spectacular Riviera views and lots of wealthy joggers. I was there in late July and although I got a fairly early start the heat was pretty intense- bring sunscreen and water, for sure, even earlier in the season. It was fun to approach Monaco from the harbor, although it is a loooong climb up. Then it was an easy bus ride back.