Search

Vouchers or not?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Vouchers or not?

Vouchers or not for B & B's in Ireland?

I keep reading about the voucher system for accomodations. Some travelers just want a place to sleep,but we are the type who like a nice place, especially when it's for more than 1 night. I'm not talking about a $200+ castle hotel, but in the $130-$160 range. And we like to have a reservation ahead of time.

That said, even if you make reservations way ahead of time, what kind of room will you get with a voucher? And will you get bumped to another property if a better paying customer wants to make a reservation?

The reason I ask is that we have done a few package-type vacations and what you get is the worst room in the house. We'd rather pay a little more and have a nice place to stay.

What has been your experience with the vouchers? We are new to Ireland but have traveled extensively in Europe before.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 08:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There really aren't many advantages to the vouchers IMO. No, you don't get 'bumped'. But any B&B that takes vouchers also takes non-voucher patrons -- and lots of places don't take vouchers. Vouchers don't guarantee you a room -- only that if a room is available it will have already been paid for.

I'd just book and pay like most people do . . .
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

janisj----you just confirmed our suspicions. Thanks.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may even get a better price by not using vouchers .
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 05:14 PM

Many B&B owners get frustrated with taking vouchers because it takes so long to get reimbursed and so many have opted out of the deal.

I agree with the above that you will do better to book on your own.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Not never, no way, no how.

EVERY time that I have called a B&B (or had the Tourist Board call for me -- They do that, you know, for a small fee), to see if there was a vacancy, the very FIRST response (WELL before an answer) is to ask if I am using vouchers!!!

Now, I've never claimed to be the brightest bulb in the box, but I sense a definite correllation between those two "V" words -- VACANCY and Voucher.

Bob
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

We ruled out the voucher thing. We are used to making our own reservations, but in trying to find a better flight price, we looked at some fly-drive packages, and many of them were with Vouchers.

It appears on Expedia and Orbitz we can get the flight and car together at a little better price than the flight and car separately.

Our biggest disappointment is not being able to get a direct flight from Chicago to Shannon. We'll have to change on the East Coast----bummer, not our favorite thing to do as there are so many delays.