Search

VORTEILscard

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VORTEILscard

I'm trying to help my Mother and her SO with a trip they're taking to Austria this fall

They're spending time in Vienna and Salzburg in addition to vising with relatives near Klagenfurt.

It looks like buying a VORTEILscard will make their train trips MUCH cheaper. Question is, can this be done from US? Can I fill out the forms and mail them , photos and money? Or can (must) this be done once they get to Vienna? If they must wait, will they also have to wait to buy their train tickets?

~Liz
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 09:58 AM

You must present your application , proof of identity and age ( passport is perfect for this) photo and needed fee at a austrian rail ticket counter.
In two minutes they will complete this transaction and issue a temporary paper Vorteilscard form that can be used immediately to purchse the discounted tickets.
I think the temporary card is good for about 60 days - so no problem to use this during a visit.
Thus an easy and quick process in Austria.
This form is easily folded to be used during the stay in Austria.
A plastic card with the photo will be forwarded to the permanent address listed on the application in about a month.
The Vorteilscard is good for 1 year.
An automatic renewal form will be sent prior to the card expiration if you wish to renew.

Note that the card not only offers discounts of about 50 % on train journeys within Austria but also about a 25 % discount on international trips beginning within Austria.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Molker!
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Liz,
I was researching the same Vorteil Senior for my mom. Here is the response I got from the OEBB customer service. I don't know if there is any advantage to buying the Vorteil early.

we are pleased to learn about your interest in using BB

If your mother is 60 years plus she may buy a VC – senior, which is € 26,90

Either you purchase the „Vorteilscard“ on the spot – in Austria at any opened BB counter or you order it

With our collegues [email protected] (they need your creidt card details and adress in order of payment and sending you per post)

You can order your tickets online – at the rate of VC-users – in case of travelling you have to prove with your VC card that you are entitled to use this tarif.

You can also book with us if you prefer a service – sending tickets you per post is € 5,00 delivery fee.

Prepayment with creditcard requested.

If further questions are left, do not hesitate to contact us again