Volvo Pick up!! Went awesome!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you posting about the Volvo Overseas Delivery program...my husband and I picked up our new V50, T5, AWD about 3 weeks ago (we only drove it for the day due to time constraints on our trip!)...the program is everything it says it will be...as most posters have listed in their thoughts. We found the services to be terrific, they are very "on time" and with it...one thing that amazed us--most everyone we met was buying the XC90 huge SUV's...we were really surprised..with the way gas prices are going..however, it is an incredibly safe SUV and perfect for families! We loved driving the car..for those of you looking for a quick day trip, head north up to Marstrand for lunch and to walk around a very quaint sailing town. We dropped the car back off the next day and they took us to the airport....our trip continued on through Switzerland, Italy and Austria...we had a wonderful time and we are already looking forward to our other car going "kaput" so we can buy another volvo! Our car was shipped on August 13th from Goteborg and should arrive here in San Diego at our dealer on September 23rd.
Please ask any questions if you have them!!
Ciao!
-CO
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 01:31 PM

Sounds like a great program.
The XC90 is a "huge SUV" compared to what?
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Hi CO,

Congrats! One of my fav cars was my little blue '79 Volvo, bless her heart, ha.

I am not good with makes and models of cars, I seem to remember a 242 and maybe a D, or a L, ha, ha, but she was a good car.

Many a time in my starving 20's that I was thankful for her! I actaully still am thankful.

I donated her to the Aids Foundation when it was time.

Enjoy your new baby!
Zoom, zoom, Tiff
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Congrats! Why didn't you use the car to travel around Europe?
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 07:10 AM

The V50 is a cute little car, congrats.
Like yipper, I'm curious why you didn't drive it around on vacation?
Was it something about the Volvo pickup program?
What kind of mileage did you expect and on your day trip what kind of mileage did you get?
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Woops! I'm a little late in responding! In my personal opinion, I think the XC90 is a lot bigger than most Ford Explorers or Escapes i've seen, it's close in size to the X5...anyway---we didn't drive it around Europe because we had friends in Switzerland who were leaving to come back to the US for a visit--and we wanted to see them and stay with them in their town for a few days. Our original trip was to go to Switzerland and Italy--and then we found out about the Volvo deal, but we didn't have too much time to explore the Sweden end of things...simply a traveling crink in our plans, nothing to do with Volvo! We only put 100 miles on the car...and truthfully--I don't think either one of us paid attention to the gas mileage--we were too busy winding through little roads and making sure we didn't have an accident!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 06:47 PM
MaureenB

How much money do you save on the purchase price doing it this way? I have a '99 Volvo cross-country wagon that I love. Next car we get, I'd love one of the sedans.

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 10:12 PM

Thanks for getting back on this Colorada17.
So, I guess you can say that "the waiting", truly is the "hardest part"?
We have an XC70 and it's a great car but I was hoping that the V50 might be a little easier on gas.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:49 AM

Maureen -- The cars available in the Volvo European Delivery program (and their associated prices) are here:

http://www.flyvolvo.com/msg4.htm

You'll roughly "save" about 8% off the US retail price. I think there's also a current offer for 2 free roundtrip tix on SAS with the order and purchase of the Volvo.

I'm just sad to see that the new 2006 C70 convertible isn't part of the program!!!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:11 AM

Thanks for posting, Colorado17! My husband and I are planning in doing this in a year or two, when we are ready to purchase a new car. The deal sounds fantastic, and we will use the car to explore some of the Scandanavian countries. Reading posts like yours just reconfirms what a terrific deal European delivery is!

Tracy
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:17 AM

The ship carrying the first US shipment of the Volvo SUVs (I think all were the large X90s all of which were "presold&quot some 900 plus as I recall and more than a few high end BMWs and Mercedes sank.
At the time, BMW was trying to avoid insurance resposibility for the cars that had been "European Delivered".
Does anyone know the final resolution?
M
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:32 AM

My father-in-law's Volvo XC70 that he had purchased with the ED program was in the ship that sank. I don't know how things went for the BMW owners, but my FIL had to wait about 3 months for the replacement car to arrive, and Volvo tossed in a lot of extras at no charge and also a $$$ allowance for waiting. He was very happy with the way things worked out and is still happy with their Volvo.
Now if only their claim against Saddam Hussein could be processed as successfully...(they were hostages in the first Gulf War and lost many of their favorite possessions)...it was partial resolution of their claim that paid for the new Volvo.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:09 AM
MaureenB

Thanks for the website. I'll definitely look into it. Could be perfect way for my husband and I to visit Scandinavia, when the kids are at college!