Vivaldi in Venice?

Search

Vivaldi in Venice?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vivaldi in Venice?

My husband and I will be going on our first trip to Italy (Naples, Florence, Venice and Rome) in March. Has anyone attended any classical concerts in these cities? We once attended a nice Strauss concert in Vienna, and a Chopin concert in a palace in Warsaw. While the local musicians were not necessarily world-class, it was lovely to hear the music in a beautiful setting in the city where it was born.

Does anyone know of anything similar in Italy? (There MUST be Vivaldi in Venice!!!!)
Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 12:59 PM
RJD

Ther are concerts in Venice almost daily. Vivaldi is easy to find. You'll find ticket sellers near the main piazza hawking their wares. My wife and I attended a Vivaldi concert in a small church a few years ago.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 01:01 PM

Yes, you will see people handing out flyers.

www.aguestinvenice.com has lots of events listings
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Val

Went to a wonderful Vivaldi concert in a church near the Accademia bridge last year. Booked ticket on the internet it was by Interpreti Venezia.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Vivaldi composed a great deal of his music for a choir of orphan girls who sang at the church of La Pieta on the Riva degli Schiavoni. La Pieta has frequent concerts, and they are listed in "A Guest in Venice," which you can obtain either from your hotel or from the Venice tourist office. I gather from another post that it is also available on the Web.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 03:01 PM

There are many classical concerts you can attend. There is also the church where Vilvaldi was a priest. It is close to St. Marks Square.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:31 AM

Omsam - 'I Musici Veneziani' often do a Vivaldi programme. Here's the link:

http://www.imusiciveneziani.com/vene...dexvenezia.htm

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:33 AM

And of course you can hear Vivaldi all day if you stay in the Metropole Hotel, where he lived and wrote some of his compositions. Of course, back then it was not a hotel. But because of his history there, the hotel has Vivaldi background music all day. Nice way to relax with a cocktail in the evening before dinner.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Last May, we attended a wonderful concert in the Church of San Vidal. The information is available at www.interpretiveneziani.com

Enjoy!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 12:58 PM

Sorry, I wasn't very clear with that answer. It is the Church of San Vidal in Venice.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 05:10 AM

Check out Nalesso, a CD/music shop in Venice that is a hub for early music in the area, including Vivaldi. If it is happening in Venice, they will know about it. I think they have their own CD label now, and the staff speak English, if that matters. Located in the Calle delle Spezier 2765, just off the Campo Santo Stefano in the San Marco area of Venice.

I see a listing for Vivaldi Store Venezia at F. dei Tedeschi, San Marco, 5537/40, but I don't know anything about this one.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 06:27 AM

The Nalesso shop that eliztrav mentioned is closed. The owner changed the store's name to Vivaldi Store Venezia and moved to their new location on Fontego dei Tedeschi, on the Ferrovia side of the Rialto Bridge.

I miss that cute little campo filled with music but the owner said the new location offers so much more exposure. Fontego dei Tedeschi is one of Venice's most heavily trafficked calle.

The Accademia di San Rocco ensemble is considered the most prestigious orchestra in Venice and their concerts in the Scuola di San Rocco are truly something special to behold. The only downside is they don't perform year round. You can get more info on the following website:

http://www.musicinvenice.com/intro.html
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the update, NYCFoodSnob. Although I'm sad that Nalesso, as I remember it, is no more. It was always a favorite stop when in Venice! I'll look for the new place next time.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 07:24 AM
GAC

Another superb venue to hear classical music in Venice (including Vivaldi) is in the main hall of the Scuola di San Rocco. While you listen to the music, you are surrounded by the huge frescos adorning the side walls. During intermission, you are allowed to walk upstairs to gaze upon the stupendous Tintoretto frescoes, one of the greatest and most memorable experiences of a lifetime (and unequalled in the City of Venice). I don't believe that any other venue in Venice comes close to matching this (other than the Palazzo dei Dogi, which is usually not open at night).
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

You guys are fantastic!!!! Thanks so much.

Any good music place recomendations in Florence or Rome?
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:43 AM

In Florence, the church of San Miniato al Monte holds masses with Gregorian chants, if that interests you. And, I vaguely remember concerts held at Orsanmichele as well.

I loved the Vivaldi concert by Interpreti Veneziani. I'm so glad I bought the CD. Every time I play it, it takes me back to Venezia! awww, I really need to go back SOOOOOONNNNN!!!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:51 AM

The Church of San Marco in Florence also held concerts. To find out about these concerts, check out the flyers by the church doors/bulletin boards. Wouldn't it be great to attend a concert at the church of Santa Croce among Florence's greats like Michelangelo?!!? WOW!
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 01:27 AM

Omsam - In Rome there are several concerts at the Santa Cecilia (Vatican area) in March. Here's the link:

http://www.santacecilia.it/italiano/...ario/marzo.htm

Here's a good source for events/concerts listings:

http://www.romaturismo.com/v2/en/main.asp

'I Musici Veneziani' also do regular concerts in Rome at S. Paulo Entro le Mura church, Via Nazionale. (See the website I gave you above).

Hope this helps ...

Steve