Search

Viva Italia!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viva Italia!

I need help deciding on the best mode of transportation for a honeymoon trip to Italy in late April/early May. Based on your very helpful recommendations, I've decided on the following as an itinerary:<BR><BR>Fly directly into Venice from the USA <BR>2 nights in Venice<BR>2 nights in Fiesole (right outside Florence)<BR>3 nights in Siena<BR>2 nights in Ravello<BR>3 nights Rome<BR>Then fly to Athens and take either flight or fast hydrofoil to Santorini - 4 nights<BR>Back to Athens - 1 night<BR>Return to the States<BR><BR>I am considering renting a car from Venice, when leaving for the drive to the Florence and the rest of our destinations. Please let me know if this is cumbersome, more expensive, and should we just train it instead? Also, I am open to any and all suggestions on sights to see, places to eat, etc. Thanks Fodorites! <BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 04:00 PM
rex

I think that having a car will probably add to this trip. Yes it will be somewhat more cumbersome in some places (not in Fiesole, but quite possibly in Siena); hard to guess about more expensive - - no if you are three or more. Yes, more expensive if you are solo.<BR><BR>Do enjoy dinner at least once at Villa San Michele in Fiesole - - are you perhaps staying there?<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Rex! We're nearby the Villa at a place called Pensione Bencista (prices were a bit cheaper.) We'll take your recommendation on dinner at the Villa however, I want to see it in any case. Also, do you happen to know how long it will take to get to from Siena to Ravello. I was thinking that we should drive to Naples, drop off the car, and then hire a car to pick us up at the train station to Ravello like some other have posted. What do you think?
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 04:27 PM
rex

Any driving trip should begin with becoming familiar with one or more of these excellent websites, for route planning, mileage, time estimatres, tolls, etc.<BR><BR>www.viamichelin.com<BR>www.mappy.com<B R><BR>or<BR><BR>www.shellgeostar.com<BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch - this is very helpful stuff. I'm on it!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 07:46 PM
rex

You're most welcome.<BR>