Reload this Page >

help w/ decisions for Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 08:12 PM
bkf

Our daughter will spend second semester in Florence and we will be going over to see her at semester's end. We were thinking of renting an apartment for a week or so in Florence and just hanging out and seeing the city. Any thoughts on this plan and nearby &quot;don't miss&quot; sights?<BR>She is quite fine with the plan and because we have traveled a good deal we don't feel compelled to see it all in a week. Have spent time in Rome so know we will enjoy the country. Also the weekend we arrive is my husbands' 60th b-day my daughters 21st b-day and Easter! Tho we would like to stay longer $ and time will be tight and she will be anxious to be home.<BR>any ideas.....? and thanks<BR>.b

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Rex

&lt;&lt;We were thinking of renting an apartment for a week or so in Florence and just hanging out and seeing the city.&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>I have to think that this is the best plan.<BR><BR>Best don't miss? a place that won'r be in her budget as a student - - go out to dinner at Villa San Michele in nearby Fiesole, and watch dusk descend over the city. A delightful sight.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 06:21 PM
any

any one else?<BR>

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 08:12 PM
John H

bkf,<BR><BR>A day trip to Siena by train is well worth the time -- Siena is fantastic.<BR><BR>John H.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 03:50 PM
bkf

thanks so far....will post apartment locations to see if anyone has some experience with the area.<BR>Also anyone had the studant Visa experience?<BR>thanks<BR>.b

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 04:04 PM
uncle sam

Siena, San Gimanano and other hilltop towns including Orvieto which is a bit closer to Rome than Florence.<BR><BR>US

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 04:24 PM
joni

bkf, my daughter is in Florence this semester at Scuola Lorenzo de'Medici. Good idea to go near the end of the semester, as your daughter will be able to show you around by then. As for the student visa question. You can download a student visa application from the Italian Consulate online site (I dont have the url handy; do a quick search on google), but your daughter will need to go in person to actually apply for the visa. Depending on where you are in the States (I assume that's where you are?) the lines can be quite long, so get there early. They have odd hours, and will only take a certain number of people on a given day. It takes about two weeks to get the visa after you turn in the application. I think the cost was around $25.00. Also, check out apartments for your daughter, as opposed to living at the school. Rents are reasonable, especially if she has one or two others to share with. Feel free to email me if you have other questions, although I'm leaving for Firenze on Thursday! Be back after TG.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Ken L

Hello bkf: Why not stay in one of the 8-10 convents and or monasteries in Florence? A number of them also have many paintings and frescoes which your daughter might enjoy too. Besides the cost (compared to hotels/apts) is much less. Hope this helps. Ken L

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 06:34 PM
SpellingMaven

US- Your spelling is so bad one isn't able to make plans based on your suggestions - tsk tsk!!<BR><BR>It's San Gimignano, not San Gimanano. Not even close, US. Tsk tsk!<BR><BR>You'd think if you'd been there, you'd at least remember the spelling of the name.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 06:40 PM
uncle sam

Spelling Maven,<BR><BR>Thank you so much for your correction. <BR><BR>I'd have never been able to sleep tonight knowing the severity of my error. <BR><BR>Next time, I'll either take the time to look into our scrap books, or I'll go downstairs and get the coffee table books or I'll use my Atlas which is in the same room as my office...or I'll just continue to put up with comments from some frustrated dork like you!<BR><BR>US

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 06:45 PM
SpellingMaven

Uncle Sam:<BR><BR>Thank you. I do recommend that you do some research next time before you post. That way, if the poster wants to follow up on the recommendation, either by way of the internet or using an index in a travel book, he/she can actually make use of your information. Spelling the name of a VERY popular place wrong for a newbie can make the difference between that person's being able to get info about the place or not. Pretty simple, no?

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 06:57 PM
uncle sam

Sage advice Spelling Maven...and I'm pretty sure you're not really a dork!<BR><BR>US

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 07:13 PM
colleenk

Check out slowtrav.com for some good ideas on Florence rentals and tuscan country side visits from Florence. Your daughter will probably have some good ideas too once she's been there a while.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:49 AM
bkf

thanks for all your help.....slowtrav.com is terrific and we may have found &quot;the perfect&quot;apartment but am curious about the convent thing....sounds a bit like the paradors in Spain in terms of authentic old feel but as a recovering Catholic I am not so sure...! Anyone know about this area-&quot;Borgo Pinti&quot;street?<BR>strating to want to go NOW!<BR>bkf

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Terry

BKF - You may want to look at my trip report from June. My daughter was on a Study Abroad program in Florence. The report is long, so you may want to skip directly to the Florence part. In there I mention a fun restaurant on Borgo Pinti, called La Giostra. Borgo Pinti is a narrow pedestrian street.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Terry

BKF - Sorry, posted too soon! Here is the URL for my trip report:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...mp;tid=1384279

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Mike

Terry - just read your trip report, nice job. I was intrigued by your mention of the Fattoria dell Colle and explored their website. I am going to Italy next summer for 4 weeks with 2 small children in tow. I'm wondering if this would make a good &quot;base&quot; to operate from and how feasible trips to Rome / Florence would be? Any thoughts you have or further comments on the farm would be great. Thanks.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Terry

Mike,<BR>I would recommend Fattoria dell Colle for a portion of your four week trip. It is a nice base for exploring rural Tuscany. For example: Siena, San Gimignano, Pienza, Montepulciano, etc.<BR><BR>It is very tranquil at Colle, and there is a small restaurant on site. Must make your reservation in the morning, if you are planning on dining there. There are scheduled activities for the families that might be of interest. There were several families there during our stay. Youngest child appeared to be about three years old. <BR><BR>From Colle, it is about a 20 minute drive to the A1 that will take you north to Florence or south to Rome. Personally, I think you would be too far from Rome for a day trip, but Florence might work. <BR><BR>My preference for you would be to plan on staying a couple nights in Rome. It would be nice to have a hotel to go back to if the children should need a rest. Hope this helps some.<BR>Terry <BR><BR>