Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Visiting the Sistine Chapel without the Vatican Museum?

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all:

I have promised my 83-year old Mother-in-Law a visit to Rome this year. She is fairly healthy, but 83 none the less, and I want to ensure that she sees the highlights that will be meaningful to her.

I have been to the Vatican Museum and although I find it fascinating, I don?t think she'd be very interested and this is HER trip. I know she would love to see the Sistine Chapel but, on the tour I took, it was bundled with the museum. I'm afraid that a two-hour meander through the museum would exhaust her and leave her very little energy to enjoy the splendors of the chapel.

So, does anyone know if it is possible to visit the chapel on its own, without the extended tour? I have already checked the Vatican Museum site and it does not mention that this is possible. I am hoping someone out there could answer my question.

I will probably employ a private guide for the few days we are there, but would like to do some preliminary planning before I contact a guide.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards Ger
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:49 PM

I would try contacting the Vatican directly with the query. I know there is a stairway right near the exit of the Sistine chapel - and it may (who knows) have access to some quicker way of getting there. That said, it is in the center of the building and there's no way to get there without some walking.

I would also check on the availability of a wheelchair or scooter - that may be the answer for her.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 04:06 PM

You do not have to take a tour of the Vatican Museum. You can pay your entry fee and go directly to the Sistine Chapel, obviously passing through some of galleries en route.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 04:54 PM

Yes, this is exactly what I did, go straight through the Borghese Apartments to the Sistine Chapel, without lingering anywhere else (I had been through before) It does take some walking, but then your mother can sit on a bench and spend as long as she wants gazing at the magnifocent frescoes in the chapel.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 09:16 PM

Hi Ger,

At 83 your mother might find it difficult to tilt her head back for any length of time. Bring a 6x6 or 8x8 flat beauty mirror with you. She can look at the ceiling reflected in the mirror without stiffening her neck.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 04:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Although I do not believe you can enter the museum at the Sistine Chapel end, you certainly can leave that way. After viewing the Sistine Chapel, leave through the door on the right as you face the rear of the chapel. The sign says it is for tour groups only, so we just waited for a tour group to pass by, and we tagged along.

This saves lots of walking and deposits you right outside the entrance to St. Peter's.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.

adrienne: What an excellent idea! nytraveller: definately worth checking out the wheelchair option, just in case

regards ... Ger