Visiting Switzerland for 4 days.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arriving in Zurich Switzerland on a Tuesday afternoon from Munich by train and we were thinking of making either Bern or Interlaken our base and travel by train to see some of the countryside in Switzerland. We would like to spend an afternoon in Geneva and also visit Lausanne.

We are flying out from Zurich on Saturday.

Does this sound feasible?

Any other suggestions on which area to stay in would be welcomed. Any suggestions for holels located close to the train stations.

Thanks
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 07:17 AM

With only 3 days to really see much I would go directly to Wengen or Lauterbrunnen and enjoy the best of the Alps.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 07:21 AM

I like Bern a bit more than Interlaken personally, and am actually in love with Zurich itself. You wouldn't think so, but it's actually pretty wild It's been years but Appenzel (can't remember how to spell it) was wonderful to me and Lugano has to be one of my favorite places on Earth. I haven't spent a lot of time, but friends of mine totally recommend Baden and Basel.....

As for budget, what is yours? There's this group of Accor hotels that range from Luxury to basic and Formule 1, Ibis, and Etap are theire cheap options. I've stayed AMAZINGLY cheap at the Etap in Zurich, and in one in Paris too, and another time I got a good rate in Switzerland at the Hotel Ibis. May want to check them out. The maids are a bit shady sometimes, but be attentive, and the rooms are actually quite clean and well equipped.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 07:22 AM

Hi comayoeagle,

I agree with bob/nav above; Bern is about 1h40 from the peaks and Interlaken about 40 minutes. Staying in Wengen puts the peaks right outside your door.

I wonder what time of year this will be, as that would influence some recommendations. For instance, there is a major world ski race in Wengen in mid-January and a neat ice sculpture competition in Grindelwald the week after.

Have fun!

s
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 07:27 AM

Sounds Grate, hope you will have Grate time there
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 07:33 AM

comayoeagle, you seem more interested in the cities in Switzerland than in the countryside, mountains, lakes, etc. Many people find the out-of-doors more unique and look to stay out of cities, at least some of the time. So you will get recommendations for little towns and villages.

You might do a bit more research on what there is to see and do in Switzerland before you limit yourselves to the cities.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies. We are going to visit Switzerland in June. As far as hotels, I would like to stay at a hotel that costs about $200 per night.

Thanks again
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 07:52 AM

The Jungfrau Region and Interlaken area are to me the highpoint of Switzerland, from a foreign tourist's view - the gorgeous Alpine Switzerland etched in our minds' eyes. Wengen, Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen are great bases up in the hills and Interlaken is as well IMO. June is still a bit before the summer hiking rush so a great time to go.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 08:14 AM

Hi again,

Yes, June will be great in the Jungfrau region. However $200 for two people is on the low side, especially considering the poor exchange rate.

I've enjoyed the 3-star Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen two times, but it may be over your preferred limit. I've heard really good things about the Bären, also in Wengen. Its website is at

http://www.baeren-wengen.ch/

and it lists summer prices as 70-90 chf per person (hotels in Switzerland normally give their prices as "per person," so watch it carefully).

Wengen is quite small, and you can walk everywhere easily.

Have fun!

s
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM

Comayoeagle...(joined Dec. 2009)

Welcome to Fodors...I know it will turn out to be an important part of your travel planning...and fun, at that!

Just to add a vote for Interlaken as a base, even with so many naysayers...this is a post I just added to Palenque's informative thread on Swiss trains from last year. He seemed to be the only Interaken fan at the time...now we are converts also, after a wonderful visit to Berner Oberland last month. Good luck and again, welcome to Fodor's!(Honestly, you can't miss wherever you choose to base).

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...a-nutshell.cfm

Stu Tower
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I only know one small area in Switzerland, but I've spent a bit of time there. Instead of Lausanne/Geneva, I suggest Montreux/Vevey to see the best of that area of Lac Leman.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM

Comayo:

If you do decide on Interlaken, I heartily recommend Hotel Goldey Swiss on the beautiful River Aare...idyllic location...15 minute walk along the riverside promenade to the Ost Station for daily quick trips to Wengen, Lauterbrunnen,Grindelwald...and onward to jungfrau, Murren, etc. Rates sllghtly below and slighly above $200 (we paid $180 and got an upgrade for an alpine view, south-facing balcony..there are views from all rooms, but the front balconies are the better ones

Here are some selected Swiss pix, and several pix of the Goldey are included... you're in for an enjoyable trip no matter where you decide to base..bon votage!

Stu Tower
http://picasaweb.google.com/stuartto...rOberland2009#
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM

of course, that should read "Bon Voyage"..old eyes and computer keyboards are a mismatch.

stu
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies, I appreciate your suggestions.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM

look at tower's photo of his hotel in Interlaken and you will understand why i think Interlaken is unduly denigrated by many it seems who must never get off the yes tacky main drag and discover how really dreamy much of Interlaken really is
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Hi again,

Unfortunately, Palenque, I have gotten off the main tourist drag, spent hours wandering the tiny wandering streets, popping into the tiny little restaurants and cafes.

And yet I still denigrate the town as not worth the time -- there are many, many forgotten towns along the lake that are quiet and charming and compelling. And if you want mountains, one must go UP.

I am so sorry you speak so poorly of those who disagree with you.

s
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM

swandav - that is my opinion and i base it on many many visits to Interlaken and if the hoardes who do quickly transit the town would discover its dreamier parts they would change their tune IMO

Now i respect your take but think it would not be the usual - i don't know i have traveled Switzerland for decades and Interlaken to me is a sweet place - different strokes for different strokes

and when i say that most don't take the time i am talking about those that do not take the time - you have and your opinion is different - yes i am incredulous but that's your opinion

and in your above post you in fact speak poorly of me (and tower) by your comments - the same as you charge me. Have you been to Matten and seen the views?

Really i find it incredible that you can say Interlaken ain't worth the time - really incredulous IMO. And you the same to me - so let's not get uptight about one expressing one's opinions, please.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
ira

Hi C,

Check out http://www.giessbach.ch/en/the_grandhotel/about.php

Take the train to Interlaken and the boat across the lake to the oldest Funicular in CH up to the hotel.

See my trip report:
Ira Returns From 22 Loverly Days in Europe - Sep, 2009
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-europe.cfm

Old Dec 10th, 2009, 08:41 PM

Pal, you made my point exactly. Simply expressing your opinion ought to be enough; saying "oh I disagree and really enjoy Interlaken because of . . ." ought to be enough.

Taking the further step to say that those who don't like Interlaken must have done something sorta wrong -- like not going to the spots you went to, implying that they don't get off the main drag -- is going beyond simple opinion and in fact is getting personal. There is enough room for all opinions, and our opinion is just as valid as yours.

In return, I find it incredible that you find it incredible that someone might form a different opinion.

s
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 07:43 AM

swandav - getover yourself - i was making a general statement about folks who say Interlaken is a dud - indeed many do not get off the main drag and fail to see the simply dreamy area along the Aare River - have you seen the Lucerne-like covered wooden bridge and the sluices there - have you walked along the Aare River path? And if so and you call these duds well then we have very different definitions of scenic. Or Matten - where from my guesthouse balcony i have views over farmers meadows of the ice-girdled Jungfrau Massif.
These areas of Interlaken are as cute as any Swiss city IMO and i will hold that opinion.
Why make it personal about yourself - i was not talking to you but was making a generality and yes 99% of people heading to the hills only walk down the yes tacky souvenir-shop filled main street and never get to the really picturesque portions like i list above. that you have and are still jaded - well we have a different idea of picturesque and that's fine.
But quit making it personal - i stand by my generality about folks saying Interlaken is a waste just do not discover its really cute parts. You are the exception IMO - you did get off and found nothing but dreary quarters - do you feel the same about the covered wooden bridges in Lucerne as you do about Interlaken's.
I am rather getting tired of folks making things personal - i was talking in generalities and not attacking you personally as you are bent on thinking.
Interlaken is one of my very favorite cities in Europe and IMO one of its most scenic and cute as well, if you get off the Hauptstrasse and that is my opinion - like it or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -