Reload this Page >

Visiting PAris in Aug

Search

Visiting PAris in Aug

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 12:46 AM
Nyet

Visiting PAris in Aug

Hi there. I've read a lot about Paris being a ghost town in August. Why is it so? Does it mean that a lot of shops, establishments are closed during this time? My husband is going for a convention (which probably explains the off season timing) and I'm tagging along for my first trip to the continent. <BR> <BR>What is it like visiting in August. Pardon my ignorance but would really like to be prepared for the trip. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 12:54 AM
Ursula

Nyet: I would not call it a "ghost town". A lot of Parisians do go away in August and small shops like grocery stores and bakeries do close down. Also some restaurants, however, by far not all. <BR>Tourist sites will be crowded (do go in the mornings) and it can get quite hot. Just do not plan too much for the day and relax in the beautiful parks and take your time for a glass of whatsoever in a nice side-walk café and watch the people. <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:00 AM
Alex

August is the month when a large segment of the French take their vacation. Paris empties. Many establishments, from small family owned businesses to three star restaurants, close.Student travelers disappear. <BR>The good news is just that. Crowds are smaller and lines to major attractions are shorter or gone. Most large businesses remain open. You'll find more to do than you could experience in a lifetime.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:59 PM
Lisa

I've been there in August and at other times. I like the fact that Paris is not as crowded. There are more European travelers there as it is a time for European holidays. Closed shops etc. wasn't a big deal. It can be bone crushing hot!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 07:33 PM
itsnot

I would think that you'll be doing mostly the "tourist" stuff, so you won't run into any problems. <BR> <BR>Going into an area that is more for "daily life" of the Parisians, you will find stores and restaurants closed. Near the Louvre, the Champs, Galleries Lafayette, Printemps, etc, it will be fine. <BR> <BR>And yes, it will be hot. Good excuse for ice cream!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 12:38 AM
Nyet

Gee guys, thanks for the comments. I had placed another posting today cos'I couldn't find this one. Sorry abt that. I know it can be annoying. <BR> <BR>So, sounds like I won't miss much. <BR> <BR>Another question. <BR>Will eating out for dinner cost me and arm and leg? <BR>What kind of clothings should I bring? Will I have to be rather formal for dinners or the standard casual attire sufficient?

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 03:47 AM
clairoobscur

<BR>It's up to you. The cost of a dinner can be anywhere between 10 and 300 US $. <BR> <BR>Casual cloths will be fine in the 10$ restaurant, not in the 300$ one... <BR> <BR>Well...let's say I wouldn't wear casual cloths in a restaurant where the dinner costs, say, more than 250FF (35 $). <BR> <BR>But I suspect it depends on what you mean by casual/formal. Only in the cheapest restaurants I would wear shorts (actually I wouldn't, but for the sake of it...), and only in the really upscale ones I would feel the need to wear a tie.