Reload this Page >

Tiramisu, Profiteroles, Creme Brulee

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 03:26 PM
Ladytravelbug

On our next trip to Europe in the fall, my husband and I would like to compile a list of restaurants to track down in order to enjoy these desserts to the max. We'd be grateful for any personal recommendations from the helpful people on this Board. It would also be nice to hear about any other yummy desserts you think we're missing out on. Thanks very much! <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 03:33 PM
JOdy

TARTUFO, at tre scalini in Rome!!! <BR>Torta della Nonna at La famiglia in London, <BR>Sticky toffee pudding at any National Trust property in UK <BR> <BR>You sound like a lady after my own heart!!! <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Rex

Salzburger Noeckerl at Zur Goldenen Ente in Salzburg. <BR> <BR>Our group of 16 people had four of them, split between us last summer; each one uses the whites of a dozen eggs (we at least had the courtesy of letting our proprietor, Robert, know we wanted this at the BEGINNING of the meal)!! <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 03:59 PM
anne

Profiteroles at the Cafe de la Paix near the Opera in Paris are the best. Enjoy!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Shanna

Caffe Leigeous - oh the spelling may be wrong - at Balzar's 49 rue des Ecoles, Paris. It's a coffee icecream with a sauce and chantilly cream. I'm drooling again.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Kavey

Hi There <BR> <BR>Tiramisu... strangely enough, I am recommending an Italian rest in England not Italy! La Scala in North Finchley, London is run by Tony, a lovely gentleman from Sardinia, who has a really light touvh with the tiramisu. <BR> <BR>Heavenly. <BR> <BR>Infact, thinking about it, he invited me into his kitchen not long back and showed me how to make it all, and I wrote it all down, so I should maybe post it with his name on my mum's recipe site... after all its not just for Indian recipes!!! <BR> <BR>For Creme Brulee anywhere in France, but we enjoyed some wonderful ones in Honfleur last month, find my trip report, but I think the place which did the heavenly raspberry creme brulees was Le Bistro du port, in Honfleur... <BR> <BR>Cant help with Profiteroles <BR> <BR>For Chocolate Fudge Brownie, hot, with big chunky walnuts, served with vanilla icecream, Browns, in St Martins Lane, Leicester Square. <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:45 PM
robyn

Eat as many macaroons as you possibly can at Laduree in Paris on rue royale! and don't forget Berthillon ice cream at 31 rue Saint Louis en l'Ille.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:45 PM
robyn

Eat as many macaroons as you possibly can at Laduree in Paris on rue royale! and don't forget Berthillon ice cream at 31 rue Saint Louis en l'Ille.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Ladybug

THANK YOU, everyone, for taking the time to respond, and I'm probably not the only one taking notes for future trips. Let's hope we continue to get more recommendations for yummy, memorable desserts! <BR>Note: I've corrected my Name (but the E-mail Address is still right). <BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Bob Brown

I too enjoyed deserts at the Gasthotel zur Goldenen Ente in Salzburg. In my travels, Robert Dürnle, who runs the place, is the most skilled restaurant manager I have found. If you visit the place look on the wall opposite the bar. Robert has displayed a certificate he received for winning the silver medal in a team competition. If Robert and his team came in second, the gold medal team must be simply awesome. <BR>We found that the ALL of the food at the Zur Goldenen Ente was good. Some of the fish dishes were excellent as were many others. Robert does not cook anymore now that he has charge of the whole place, but he is responsible for planning. If you are in Salzburg go by the Golden Duck. It is on Goldgasse not far from Mozart's statue. <BR>I don't know if Robert will remember me, but I remember him because of his all around excellence. He speaks pretty good English because he lived for a while in Australia.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 02:45 PM
John

Now why'dja go and post this now? <BR> <BR>Somebody mentioned macaroons. Well, try them at the source (or so they said,) streetside vendors in Riquewihr in the Alsace. And in the fall, too, when the Gewurztraminer is ready. Oh-my-God. <BR> <BR>And I was going to mention the lemon tart at the hotel in Sarlat again but I think it will make my brain hurt.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Betsy

Creme brulee at the Cafe du Marche on rue Cler in Paris. They serve it in a shallow soup dish, for Pete's sake!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:30 PM
nancy

The profiteroles at Cafe du Marche were perfect. They don't serve them everyday but they were the freshest and best I had.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:32 PM
nancy

Didn't clarify the above message. The Cafe du Marche is in Paris on rue Cler in the 7th. Didn't try the creme brulee.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:55 PM
JOdy

KAVEY. <BR>I have really enjoyed your recipe site! Please do the profiterles!!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Jody

KAvey...Sorry I meant Tiramisu!!!!!!!O R iF YOU HAVE A PROFITEROLES THAT WOULD BE WELCOME TOO. Sorry cap lock got stuck!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 03:23 AM
Howard

If anyone is in Hungary, don't pass up the chance for a "somloi galuska" - its available at many restaurants. It was great all over - sort of like profiteroles. Also, in Hungary, good ice cream is available in cones everywhere, and is very cheap - outside of Budapest, a single scoop cost the equivalent of about 25 or 30 cents.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 03:43 AM
Kavey

Jody, I promise to put it up but it will be when I get back from hols - I am packing tonight, panicking on Thursday night and going straight from work on Friday... <BR> <BR>Also i havent had a chance to try it yet so want to do that before posting!!! <BR> <BR>If any of you have great recipes (of any nationallity to share, which are NOT from a cookery book and are tried and tested, send em in) <BR> <BR>PS Jody, thanks for the support... the site is getting bigger and a friend in France emailed me today saying she cooked tandoori chicken for her hub, mum and dad and sister on the weekend and it was wonderful!!! <BR> <BR>Kavey <BR> <BR>Who is now eating chilli con carne from the canteen but dreaming of tiramisu

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 03:52 AM
Kristin

What is the address for Kavey's mom's recipe website please?

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 04:02 AM
Rex

Here you go, Kristin: <BR> <BR>from "Your advice requested on whether it would be OK to post this here..." <BR> <BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/crossro...messagesframe& <BR> <BR>the website is: <BR> <BR>www.mamtaskitchen.com <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>