Reload this Page >

3-year-old and I have 16 hour layover!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 12:25 AM
LINDA

My three-year-old daughter and I will have a 16 hour layover (ugh!) together in Zurich at the end of August. Any suggestions would be GREATLY welcome! Thanks!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 01:45 AM
Ines

Linda, we once had the same problem. We had "only" nine hours, but it was still enough. It's easy to leave the airport in Zurich. There is a train station inside the airport. Go downstairs and take a train downtown. I think it takes about 20 minutes to get downtown. Zurich is beautiful. Take a boat ride, stroll around town etc. If your layover is over night, get a hotel room. It might be expensive, but with a three-year-old it might be the best.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 01:51 AM
christina

ciao linda! <BR> <BR>when exactly do you have this layover?? like during the day or more during the night?? if during the day: in dübendorf (next to the airport, at least close by) there's a huge and famous zoo! take a taxi and get to the park, it's fun for your kid and for the kid inside you. (maybe you find something on the web regarding this zoo, so you can inform you better). <BR> <BR>christina

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 01:54 AM
christina

linda! i found the website: www.zoo.ch <BR> <BR>there's even a map where they are. i was wrong, they are not in dübendorf but in zürich. <BR> <BR>have fun! <BR> <BR>christina

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 02:01 AM
Ursula

Linda: You should take a room, also if you have the layover during the day. 16 hours is looong. A lot of larger hotels have special rates for that. <BR>Enquire with the Zurich Tourism Office at <BR>www.zurichtourism.ch <BR>Good luck! <BR>.. and yes, go for a boat ride. Very relaxing and nice after hours on a plane.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 03:11 AM
nancy

Agree with Ursula. <BR>Get a room , regardless of when you have your layover! <BR>Then you have a "home-base" where you both can crash , relax, or even let your 3 yr old bounce on a bed , and watch TV. <BR>16 hrs is a LONG time for a 3 yr old, (and for a mom ), esp. in the middle of what I assume will be a long trip. <BR>Have a good time. <BR>And take a boat ride, or visit the zoo also. <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 04:07 AM
Lisa

Been there, done that. Another vote for a "dayroom" at a hotel near or at the airport. Most hotles will have special rates for a dayroom plus a shuttle to pick you up and drop you off. <BR> <BR>Try to choose one which has a pool. Your little one can nap, swim, eat, order room service and when you feel refreshed, you still have the option of doing some sightseeing. <BR> <BR>This way you can look at it as part of the vacation.