Visiting Ireland

Aug 23rd, 1998, 08:33 AM
brian donohoe

Visiting Ireland

If you can, please recommend 2-3 fun things
to do while in Ireland. I am scheduled to
visit IRE in October for a couple of weeks.
I will be based around Dublin, but will be
mobil on weekends (Belfast, Southern IRE, etc.).

Although I am Irish, I am not really interested in kissing the blarney stone.

Any thoughts???
BJD

Aug 24th, 1998, 08:55 PM
betsy

Brian,
If you want to go to a beautiful seaport village where you can find fantastic authentic Irish music and climb the incredible moonscape of Craugh Patrick--the holy mountain of St.Patrick--then Westport in County Mayo would be a terrific choice.

Aug 30th, 1998, 08:52 PM
Heather

I just returned from the UK and Ireland yesterday. If you are free to travel around on weekends then I highly recommend the southwest peninsulas of Ireland for stunning scenery. The circular routes called the Ring of Dingle and the Ring of Kerry are very popular, but we drove the Ring of Beara instead. It was beautiful! The Ring of Beara is also divided into segments so that you don't have to complete the whole thing but I found the furthest segment well worth the drive. Also, the Ring of Beara features spectacular views from Healy Pass (as well as some of the most convoluted road you've ever driven)

Killarney National Park is also a must-see in Ireland. In addition to the vistas, there are a historic home, garden, and ruined abbey open to the public within the park's boundaries.

Other great scenic areas are the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher (both on the west coast) and the Wicklow Mountains (south and west of Dublin.

In Mitchelstown, there is an extensive cave system to visit. It was highly recommended to us, but we didn't get to it.

The Rock of Cashel features an impressive ruin which is part abbey, part castle. I recommend the guided tour to get the most out of the experience.

Another ruined abbey which is well worth a visit is Clonmacnoise. It lies in the centre of Ireland near Lough Ree. The audiovisual presentation does an excellent job of explaining monastic culture and history.

Finally, when you've absorbed enough history and scenery, find yourself an Irish pub with some live music and try a pint of Guinness.

Aug 31st, 1998, 02:30 PM
Rebecca McGregor

Two things to check into:

1) Look on the Internet at the Irish Tourism Web page "www.shamrock.org".
2) I have heard that the Aran Islands are spectacular. I found some information at "http://ireland.iol.ie/resource/aerarann/fares.html"
3) You can also find some helpful information on Aer Lingus' (Ireland's airline) web page "http://www.aerlingus.ie"

Good luck.

Sep 1st, 1998, 06:13 AM
Michael Weil

Glendalough in the Wicklow Mountains just south of Dublin is wonderful and less than an hour away

Sep 4th, 1998, 07:49 PM
Blake

If you get to the dingle peninsula, don't miss a trip to the Blasket Islands. Ferries (very small ones but the crews seem to know what they're doing) make the 20 minute trip regularly. You can hike all around the island and it gives new meaning to the word spectacular. closer to Dublin, I would recommend a trip to Slane to see the prehistoric (3000 B.C.) graves. Mattock House B&B in Slane is great, and the Newgrange site is really interesting. another thing, if you're interested in medieval art, there are lots of what are known as Irish High Crosses dotting the countryside. It's kind of fun to drive a few miles out of your way to an obscure, unvisited graveyard and find a highly ornate cross from the 9th century. Lots of books in Ireland can point you to them. Our favorites were at Ahenny and Monasterboice.

Sep 5th, 1998, 06:28 AM
Sheila Tiernan

Hello Brian, Iam totally hooked on this internet and as I run a B/B in Bunratty I cannot resist recommending the Banquet at Bunratty Castle. It is world famous. held twice nightly in the Castle and isa testament to the curtural and social life of its formerr inhabitants. The ladies of the castle, aided and abetted by the Earl's butler, ensure an evening of entertainment which follows in the best tradition of Irish Hospitality. The wine flows as the entertainers recreate the magical atmosphere of the Earls banquet through drama, music and song. Then to sleep at Ashgrove House where you will be well looked after will make fond memories of your visit. I will help with itineraries and entertainments. I will make bookings for the banquet and for B/B for your entire holiday. the OBriens were the chieftains in this area and their power extended to Dromoland, Knappogue, The Cliffs of Moher. Co. Clare is a county of many contrasts and Limerick is a very lush peaceful place . Bill and Hilary Clinton were here this morning and are off to Ballybunion to play golf and will deparet from Shannon(6 miles from here) this evening to return to the United States. Best Wishes and Slan

Sep 5th, 1998, 06:31 AM
Sheila Tiernan

The email address on the above letter in incorrect-I wrote tiner but it is tinet.
Slan agus beannacht.= Bye and God Bless

Sep 5th, 1998, 06:34 AM
Sheila Tiernan

The email address on the above letter in incorrect-I wrote tiner but it is tinet.
Slan agus beannacht.= Bye and God Bless

Dec 20th, 1998, 05:14 PM
Jerry Nisker

Hello Brian,

The best thing you can do for yourself is to pick up the Eyewitness Travel Guide of Ireland. There is no better travel book you can buy. It gives you everything to do, by region. One thing to keep in mind...the roads are very small and very bad. If you find something to do thats for example 60 miles, it will be double the driving time as it is here in the states. Ireland is a very beautiful county. You'll love it. Have fun.

Jerry