Reload this Page >

Hamburg, Germany

Search

Hamburg, Germany

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 1998, 08:51 PM
Nancy

Hamburg, Germany

Looking for information on Hamburg. Any recommendations on what to do there, to go or not to go, weather at this time of year, etc. Any trips within a reasonable distance from there also. <BR> <BR>Thanks for you help! <BR>

Old Dec 20th, 1998, 07:47 AM
Bob Brown

I lived for 4 weeks in a suburb of Hamburg a few years ago. It is a major port city, with much of the economy based on ships, ship building, and trade. I enjoyed the opera, concerts, the various parks like Planten und Blomen (like it sounds, botanical gardens), the various museums that have been re-established, and the <BR>water front. There are some notorious places as well in the St. Pauli district for which I advise discretion. <BR> <BR>The weather this time of year is often cloudy, rainy, dark and dreary. And there is always the chance of snow and ice. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 20th, 1998, 08:02 AM
s.fowler

You might visit the historic Hanseatic League city of Lubeck. It still has part of its original moat and is very charming. Although I think the swans will be wintering elsewhere <BR>Likewise the Baltic resort of Travemunde is nearby, but might be a bit deserted in the winter. <BR>

Old Dec 20th, 1998, 10:37 AM
Bob Brown

I need to amend my previous post. <BR>I also lived in Kiel. Although I never thought Kiel to be scenic, the town of Luebeck is interesting. But a guide to explain some of the buildings is very helpful. Often in January, that part of Europe seems to be under a perpetual cloud bank, although this year seems unusual.

Old Dec 21st, 1998, 04:26 AM
A. Bogner

Dear Nancy! <BR>Hamburg is a very nice city. It is one of my favorites. There are plenty of museums to visit and explore (around the main station), there are plenty of shopping possibilities (main shopping mall 'Mönckebergstrasse', and the Hanse Viertel with its shopping arcades) and there are lots of parks and beautiful areas with wonderful villas and impressive buildings(Eppendorf, Rotherbaum, Blankenese, Pöseldorf...). I highly recommend a boat trip on the Alster, a lake in the centre of the city, from which you'll get a lot of impressions of the city. I am not sure if this boat trip is available in winter- you'll have to try. I would also explore the various shopping areas in the city centre. Visit the impressive town hall, which is very beautiful inside. Near to the city centre you'll find the 'Speicherstadt', an old impressive warehousecomplex, appearently the biggest in Europe. After having explored these places in the city, you could go to some areas on the North side of the Alster. These areas are really beautiful for walks and glimpses on architecture and style. (Eppendorf, Pöseldorf, Rotherbaum. Lots of cafes and restaurants!)The highlight to finish your Hamburg trip should be a visit to Blakenese- another part of the town. Blankenese is very hilly and situated on the Elbe river. Its old fisher houses and villas are really charming and offer a lot of nice walks around the area. THere are also bars and restaurants around, from which I would choose 'Blankenese Strandhotel'. Another tip: Avoid the redlight districts- they are very often considered to be 'cult' but they are not anymore!!! It's a waste of time. <BR>I hope this helps a bit, enjoy your trip, Andree. <BR>PS: E- mail me for further information.