Search

Visiting Florence/Siena/Luca

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting Florence/Siena/Luca

Hello,
We are planning a 10 day( 9 night trip )
to Rome and Florence in early June.
We will stay in Rome for 3 days. On the 4th
day, in the morning or noon, we plan to
take a train to Florence.

We plan to rent a car in Florence.
Is it a bad idea??

The goal is to see around
Florence/Siena/Lucca. We have 4 full days
for this zone.
The 5th day in Florence area will be the
last day in Italy. we wish to board the
6:00am Eurostar to head back to Rome.
Our flight leaves Rome past noon.

I still have not made any hotel reservations
except for Rome.

Is it better to stay in Florence and make
day trips to Sienna & Lucca??

Any tips appreciated
thanks
krish
Old May 18th, 2003, 01:47 PM

I don't think it is worth it to rent a car for the four days you have in Tuscany. Lucca is very easy to reach by train from Florence and makes a great day trip. Siena is slightly harder to reach by train (most change in Empoli, but it also is an easy daytrip either by train or bus. A car is a hassle to have in Florence. I definitely wouldn't move from hotel to hotel in Florence, Siena and Lucca but base myself in Florence and make the daytrips. You'll need at least two full days for Florence itself, a full day for Siena and at least half a day in Lucca. Make sure you have reservations on that 6:00 am Eurostar to Rome and hope that the railway workers are not on strike that day.
Old May 18th, 2003, 04:17 PM
ira

Hi kk,

I agree with Grinisa, mostly.

The 5.55 is an IC train. It arrives in Rome at 8.24. The 6.54 is an ES*. It arrives at 8:30.

May I suggest an alternate? Upon arrival in Rome go immediately to Florence. After that, return to Rome. You won't have to get up early to make the 6.54 train.
Old May 18th, 2003, 04:42 PM

I would tend to agree with ira and start the trip with an easy train ride to Florence. But I would split the time 3 nights in Florence, 3 nights in Tuscany and 3 nights in Rome, but, of course, that is a personal choice.

Even though Florence is a small city, the noise level can be quite high, more so than even Rome. After a few days, we rented a car and drove through Tuscany staying overnight in Siena, and we really enjoyed roaming through the small towns...such a beautiful and bucolic countryside. We always enjoy just wandering around country roads and stopping wherever and whenever we want and Tuscany is perfect for that. Then you can drive to Rome and drop the car off there, and take an early taxi to the airport.

You will have a wonderful time whatever you choose.
Old May 18th, 2003, 06:16 PM

Rent a car!!! Don't listen to advice above. The driving in Tuscany is great and seeing the small towns and stopping when and where you want beats being attached to train schedules any day.

You will find 2 schools on this board...the train people who spend their entire trip to Europe with a schedule and pass in their backpack and the car people who rent a car and go see the real Europe. RENT THE CAR and go for it. Kiss the smelly train station good-bye. We have done 25+ trips to Europe and I am proud to say....trains were not in the plans on any of the trips.
Old May 18th, 2003, 06:28 PM

I'm not in neither of Bob's schools...I've done both trains and rental cars...If you just want to see Florence for a few days and you are going to take a couple (2) side trips to Lucca and Siena, what is the point of having an expensive rental car and figuring out where to drive to and where to park the @#^$# thing once you get there? The train goes to Lucca in about 30 mins. and a bus goes right to Siena...both cities have frequent transportation to them, so you could stay as long as you like and still get back to your hotel in Florence...on the other hand if you want to explore Tuscany and stop at all the other little out of the way places, a car would be the way to go. I don't feel that you either always rent a car or always take a train...
Buon Viaggio
Old May 18th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the response.
A trip straight to Florence after
arrival in Rome is definitely a good
suggestion. Never thought about it and
already booked the Rome hotel via
priceline.
May be i can change the dates. I can
give it a shot and see how far it gets.

Also we will drop the idea of the car
rental in florence. Less stress to deal
with.

Speaking of train strike, i had my first
hand experience the last summer in Milan.

I was on a business trip with a bunch
of co-workers. We had a
weekend to see around. We took a train
from Milan to Venice. We left in the
morning and took a train back the same
evening. When the train arrived at
milan station, all the trains were on
strike and we had to take a bus to get
to Monza. Not as bad for a 15km trip.
But it could have been worse had we
delayed our return even by a couple of
hours.

The same week, there was a taxi strike
and we had to walk over 2 miles to work.
Never happened over here at home

-krish
Old May 18th, 2003, 06:38 PM

It really depends on your interest.If you are into art and architecture,staying in Florence and taking bus/train to Lucca/Siena would be easier, as you will need at least 3 full days to see Florence properly. I have done it twice in last 3 years.

About the noise in Florence, as long as you choose hotel carefully, it won't be too bad. I stayed at Relais Uffizi(next door to Gallery Uffizi,in a alley) last month for 1 week,it was very quite.

But if you enjoy sceneries better, perhpas touring Tuscany with a car would make more sense.
Old May 19th, 2003, 05:49 AM
ira

Hi again, kk

Hope your hotel lets you change the dates. Since you only have 10 days, I suggest that basing yourself in Florence and taking trains/buses will be better than renting a car.

You can see Fiesole (1/2 day) by taking the #14 bus,
Lucca (1 day by taking the Lazzi Bus line at Pza Adua opposite east side of SMN station
Sienna (1 day)
Old May 19th, 2003, 05:52 AM
ira

Sorry, hit the wrong button.

You can see Fiesole (1/2 day) by taking the #14 bus,
Lucca (1 day by taking the Lazzi Bus line at Pza Adua opposite east side of SMN station
Tickets to Sienna (1 day)are purchased from the SITA Bus Line (ask for the Siena Rapido). SITA Bus station is on Via S. Caterina near the train station.

You can combine Lucca and Pisa if you wish.
Old May 19th, 2003, 06:30 AM

Another suggestion, start in Rome since your hotel is already booked, then rent a car on your way out and drive to and stay in/near Siena. Explore the S. Tuscany hilltowns: Siena, Montalcino, Pienza, etc. 3 nights here. YOu can also have 1 day to head N to Lucca but the rental car give you much more flexibility. Turn in rental car and Stay the 4th night in FLorence and have one full day there. Then train out. YOu'll have a big city experience in Rome, try something different the rest of the time (check out tuscany.net and search these boards for farmhouses in Tuscany to stay in for 3-4 nights). Good luck!
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:41 AM

Hi just for your info. the bus is the way to go from Florence to Siena, it takes less time then the train & drops you off in the center of Siena, I believe its the #7 bus,(? )you can get the most current info. from your hotel or at the train station.
I also recommend the hotel Torre Guelfa www.hoteltorreguelfa.com near the Ponte Vechhio & Uffizi great location and fairly quite for Florence, the best thing about the hotel is the amazing roof top terrace overlooking Florence.
Best of luck
Fluffy
Old May 19th, 2003, 09:18 AM

I agree with Bob1. You haven't seen Tuscany if you neglect the countryside. It's just the combination of culture and nature that makes Tuscany so special. And you can't go there unless you have a car. So, to me a car is an absolute must.