Search

Visiting Bavarian Castles in October

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting Bavarian Castles in October

Hi everyone,

We are going to Germany in the beginning of October for the first time and would like to visit the famous castles in Bavaria. Does anybody know if we need to buy tickets in advance or just do it on the spot. Our concern is waiting for several hours in the line (based on Rick Steves).
Thank you for your advice.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:56 AM

We, too, went in October - what a lovely time. The weather was beautiful and the trees were colourful!

The only ticket we purchased in advance (the day before) was to Neuschwenstein. The others we did not. There were a couple of lines but the waits were very short - perhaps ten minutes.

Have a great time in Bavaria!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. We also plan to drive through Bavaria something like Munich -- Fussen/Castles -- Salzburg. What would be a good route from Fussen to Salzburg. The options on the table so far are either to drive via Innsbruck or via Regensburg (I believe that is the right name) along the German-Austrian border.
Thanks again.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:06 PM

We took the route that went through Innsbruck and the scenery was amazing. You also have the option of taking the German Alpine Road (http://www.german-alpine-road.com/). Either way you will not be dissapointed, as this is such a beautiful area.

Have a wonderful time!
Tracy
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Tracy. Will take a look at this website.

Mike
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thinking about the castles again...
When is the best time to get there ( I mean to those 2 most important ones), early in the morning, late in the afternoon or does it really matter?
Also, after you get your tickets, how long you usually need to wait until actually going on a tour?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Re Neuschwanstein: the problem, if any, might be the wait for a tour conducted in English.

Last time we visited we had to wait for about 1/2 hour (until enough English speakers showed up) for one to start.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:27 PM

I do recommend that you see the "Ludwig II" musical in Fussen. The staging is very impressive. It is all in German but there is an English plot summary that does help out. I do not speak German and managed to understand enough of what was going on to make it very enjoyable. If you know something about Ludwig II's life before going, it will make it more enjoyable as well.

You will not need to book ahead in October. Also, buy the cheapest seats. There will be lots of empty seats in October and you can trade in your cheap seat for a better one when you get there. They actually switch the seats for you for no charge. You do not have to sneak into the expensive section. I had an inexpensive seat ended up in a very nice orchestra seat.

I would not, by the way, expect this to happen in the height of the season.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Another vote for the Ludwig musical. The style is basically "high operetta" and very melodious with a rather dramatic (to say the least) ending.

Something different admittedly and you'll see lots of Germans in the audience.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:47 PM

When we visited the castles last May, we got to the ticket office around 8:00 and the next English speaking tour was scheduled for 9:00. So we bought out ticket and just hung out in the line for the shuttle to take us up to Neuschwanstein.

Tracy
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:49 PM

Yes, the musical is more like seeing an opera. If you think of it that way, the fact that you cannot understand every word is not a problem.

I also bought the CD and book with the libretto in it to ponder and pick out the occasional German word I recognize.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. I've not heard about this musicle - great, will definitely check it out.

Mike
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 02:14 PM

If you go to the musical, be sure to report back. Please note the nationalities in the cast. Some of the cast is from North America (at least when I saw "Ludwig II" last year they were).
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Just some additional info on the castles:

Neuschwantein is the one that we always see on the posters for Germany and belonged to Ludwig II.

Very nearby is Hohenschwangau, the castle that belonged to his father perched high up on a cliff.

Linderhof is a small palace "retreat" he built with beautiful gardens and fountains.

Herrenchiemsee is the palace he built on an island in Lake Chiemsee that is a replica of Versailles. Ludwig was a great admirer of Louis "the sun King" but also a bit paranoid by this time since the palace could only be reached by a boat.

If you'll be in Munich, Schloss Nymphenberg, which also belonged to his father, was the winter residence and is located in a suburb of Munich.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 02:43 PM

>Nymphenberg,[...] located in a suburb of Munich.
I refuse the notion I'd be living in a suburb! Nymphenburg is almost downtown
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 02:44 PM

We were there in the middle of July and we bought tickets the morning of to see the castles. If one of you can wake up and get to the ticket booth for Neuschwanstein fairly early, I would think that would be fine. We went to Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, and Linderhoff w/o reservations.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:20 PM

I wouldn't worry about waiting time - but when they have tours in English - assuming that's what you need. Very frequent in some of the big places, much less so in some of the others.

So - no you don;t need tickets in advance but I would find out now when you need to be there for an English tour - unless you can manage German or another option.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:31 PM

The beginning of October should be a beautiful time to be in the alps.

The reason for getting your tickets in advance is in case it is crowded and you get bumped to a later slot. Check Rick Steves book for the phone number then just call ahead from Munich or have your hotel make the call. Be sure to do both castles. Although Neuschwanstein in the more famous we actually found Hohenschwangau more interesting.

The route we like through the mountains in toward Garmish then through Oberammergau with stops at Ettal Monastary and Linderhof. Then on the way from O'gau to Fussen stop at the Wiese Kirche.

If you are staying overnight in the Fussen area we like the Gasthof Von Schluxen in Unter Pinswang, just on the Austrian side of the border toward Reutte (another Rick Steves recommendation).

Although it is about 10 miles out of the way we really enjoyed Mittenwald, the violin maker's village, a little outside of Garmish.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 03:28 AM

Route to Salzburg
http://www.thirdmansystems.com/vacation/maps/maps.htm
Select "Fussen to Salzburg via Alpenstrasse" I have personally driven this route.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 03:32 AM

As a note, my route takes side trips to Oberammergau and Königssee, please skip as desired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -