Visit to Vatican

Sep 8th, 2001, 01:34 PM
girish

Visit to Vatican

Hi

I am an non-American citizen and planning to travel to Italy/Vatican. I need a VISA to enter Italy. Does any one know if I need a VISA to enter the Vatican city?. Although it is a part of Rome, it is still a country of its own as I understand. Thanks.

Sep 8th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Walter

No, there are no passport or Customs controls at Vatican City. Regards, Walter

Sep 8th, 2001, 01:57 PM
YS

Although plitically Vatican is a suvereighn state, there's no customer or immigration controls. You will not even know you are crossing the border.
I think technically speaking entry requirements to Vatican are the same as those for Italy.

Sep 8th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Ed

It might be well to clarify the concept of "Vatican", as a country, and its accessibility.

Both St. Peter's (and its square) and the Vatican Museums are part of the State of Vatican City. They are freely open to the public during open hours (and with payment of a fee at the Museums. The square (piazza) is more or less open all the time, except during large events held out there such as weekly good-weather audiences and other affairs. The Vatican Gardens, also a part of Vatican City, may also be accessed while on a tour of same.

For the most part, the bulk of Vatican City is >>very<< closed to the public. While there are no customs or immigration controls as such, it's simply off limits, and well-guarded, except to residents, employees, those on official business, accredited diplomats and journalists, identified guests for whom advance arrangements have been made, etc.

In that sense, one does not, ordinarily, go to Rome and, in the course of a normal tourist visit, "visit the Vatican". One may visit pieces of it, but rarely all of it. It's quite unlike visiting Liechtenstein or San Marino. And unless you read a lot of fine print you'll often have a hard time when in the area knowing for sure whether you're inside or outside the State of Vatican City.

Since one can't easily reach the Vatican without going through Italy there would be little reason for the little city-state to have its own border controls in this age.

Sep 8th, 2001, 02:54 PM
micia

Incase anyone is wondering about that "well guarded" statement, the entries or gates (as I see them) have Swiss guards at them.
I think this sounds a bit less intimidating.
Also, since they are so colorful, many people like to take pictures of them.