Old Waverly or Crowne Plaza?

Sep 8th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Barbara

Old Waverly or Crowne Plaza?

I received quotes from both Edinburgh hotels which were in my price range - so now have to pick between the two. I know I'm looking at old versus new, but is there anything to make one stand out more than the other. I'm taking the in-laws so I guess I'm looking for the "safest" choice. Any and all comments about either would be appreciated.

Sep 8th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Food

I remember reading a previous post that mentioned the Crowne Plaza has a great breakfast buffet. Nothing like starting the day off good.

Sep 8th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Barbara

The Crowne Plaza has parking available on site, the Old Waverly does not. The Crowne Plaza is a modern hotel inside a beautifully restored original building.
The Old Waverly is right on Princes Street, close to shopping, across the road from Princes Street Gardens, one block from George Street and generally, a bit closer to most restaurants.

Sep 8th, 2001, 11:53 AM
C

I stayed at the Old Waverly earlier this year and was very pleased with the location. I was traveling solo, so safety and a convenient location for wandering at night were important issues to me. The staff was great.

While not an issue to me since I was traveling alone, my room was fairly small. The view of the castle and ice rink , however, made up for the room size.

I don't know the age of your in-laws or their physical condition, but there is a set of stairs that you have to use to get to the main lobby. From there, there are elevators up to the rooms.

Sep 8th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Barbara

Thank you for your comments. I think I'll show them your replies and let them make the decision.

Sep 8th, 2001, 03:31 PM
NJB

There are plenty of restaurants near the Crowne Plaza as well as the Old Waverley. Nice tartan carpet in the Crowne Plaza if that's your thang ...