Search

Visit to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 08:14 AM
Evan Fournaris

Visit to Rome

Good day, We will be arriving in Rome on April 1st for a week. I have three questions: <BR> - How easy is it to get around on the buses and trams? Do you recommend a weekly ticket? <BR> - I would like to go to the Amalfi Coast. We will not have a car--any suggestions? <BR> - Should we visit Pompeii or Ostia Antica? <BR> Thanx, Evan

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 08:31 AM
Mike

You can catch the buses at the front of the train stations or at Republican Plaza about 2 blocks in front of the train station. That is where you catch bus 64. Use the Metro. You can get to any site very quickly execpt the Pantheon (use bus 64). Please watch your money. I only brought the daily passes at 6000 lira.($3.00) Take the train to Pompeii. It is 2.5 hours. You change in Naples. When you get off the train in Pompeii a crowd of taxi drivers will surround you but we paid 2.50 dollars for the ride to the ruins and walked back. It is only about a mile or two and there is a large supermarket half way. At the ruins tour guides will ask to give you a private tour. We met a another couple and there was four of us, so for 6 people we were given a 2.5 hour tour for 20,000 lira a piece. We thought it was a good deal. Your just read the information and look around yourself. We loved Rome but I am a realist. Rome needs to clean up.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:34 AM
StCirq

&lt;&lt;Should we visit Pompeii or Ostia Antica?&gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>Don't know if you mean you can only make it to one, but Ostia Antica was a highlight of our trip to Italy last summer. If you do a search, and if the search mechanism works, you should find a wonderful recent post with extremely detailed information about OA. <BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 10:55 AM
Dick

We opted for the weekly ticket in Rome primarily for the convenience but it also ended up saving us lots of Lire in the long run. <BR> <BR>Mike must have gotten off the Circumvesuviana at the wrong stop, maybe(modern) Pompeii - the correct stop for the ruins is Pompeii Scavi and the entrance is right across the street from the train station.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 11:14 AM
Marilyn Ham

If you do Pompeii also do Herculeneum (spelling?) at the Ercolano stop. It's a walk downhill to the ruins and well worth seeing as more has remained there and not been taken to the Naples museum. Marilyn

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 12:12 PM
Mike

Dick: Instead of going down the stairs and catching the Circumvesuviana we went to a different track, I wish I could remember the number and got the train to Pompeii there. On the way back the train we caught in new Pompeii took us back to Naples where we got off to wander Naples. Later we caught the train back to Roma. Different train really lucky.