Search

Cafes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 10:22 AM
jennifer

Cafes

Hi Everyone, I am new to this board and I would like to ask a question regarding cafes. Do you just walk in and sit down or do you wait to be seated? I assume you wait to be seated at restaurants, but I am not sure about brasseries or cafes. Or do you go to the counter and order there and then sit down? Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated. I have never been to Paris but have been to Europe several times. Thanks to all who respond. Jennifer

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 10:35 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Jennifer, I had this same question a couple of years ago and got good advice here (guide books don't really address this, do they?). <BR> <BR>For a casual cafe, feel free to seat yourself. And there's no need to wave down the waiter, they will notice you. And don't worry if it seems like you're waiting for a long time, they'll get to you in the order you sat down. <BR> <BR>When you're not sure if it's OK to sit down (in a fancy cafe or brasserie), a good rule of thumb is that if the table is clear (aside from the ubiquitous ashtray) seat yourself. If the table is set (with silverwear, etc) then look for a host or waiter for seating. Usually it's just a matter of walking in, catching the waiter's eye and pointing to a table and asking "OK?" <BR> <BR>You will never be able to order at the bar (counter) and then sit down. That's a no-no (the prices at the bar are significantly cheaper than at a table). <BR> <BR>Have fun

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 10:39 AM
elvira

Cafes are definitely "find a seat and sit". Many brasseries are the same, BUT there are some that've gone upscale and now you are seated. <BR>Important thing to remember: if you stand at the bar and order, DON'T go sit at a table - the prices are different for the two places, and you'll get scolded. Sit if you want to sit, a waiter will be over in the blink of an eye.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 12:12 PM
Judy

Hello All, Elvira: I am grinning like crazy, thinking about being "scolded" for doing that in the US. For some unfathomable reason, "they" can do it in most of Europe(scold that is). Worst of all, I am very contrite and embarassed after being "scolded". Yes, and we have been a few times FYI. It is just really funny, IMO. Judy <BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 12:21 PM
Ron

One piece of advice that I read on this site prior to my first visit to France and then promptly forgot (until I committed this transgression) is this: if you just want coffee or a drink and a cafe has tables set for eating (napkins, silverware, glasses) as well as bare tables, do not sit at the tables set for eating. We did this and were asked to move to another table. The waiter wasn't rude about it or anything but I was embarrassed because I had read a piece of advice that could have saved me from looking like a clueless tourist and I failed to heed it.