Visit Switzerland Help

Search

Visit Switzerland Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visit Switzerland Help

We plan to visit in October for 2 weeks .This is my first trip.Can you suggest an itinery.We are fond of lakes and Mountains.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Go to www.untours.com. I have used their program twice to visit Switzerland. It is a great (and reasonably priced) way to get a good taste of the country, its culture, etc.. When you are at their home page, click on the icons for Trip Logs and Idyll Cafe at the bottom of the page. That will let you read about the experiences of people who have used Untours.
Happy traveling!
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 10:02 AM

Switzerland is covered with lakes and mountains. Suggest you review a coupleo of guide books then come back with specific questions.

It would also help to know who "we" are - a 50's couple? a family with 3 kids? students? And what your interests are - hiking? castles? history? fine dining?
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 11:15 AM

I would put the Jungfrau Region - Interlaken, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, etc at the top of any first-time travel list to Switzerland and go from there - the highlight of the Swiss Alps IMO and so so much to do there - mountain trains, aerial cableways, hiking paths for all levels - and down in Interlaken sweet boat trips on the two lakes that bookend Interlaken - Lake Thun and Lake Brienz - a day out on each lake and its attractions is a great juxtaposition from being up in the hills - and the gloriously ice-girdled Jungfrau Massif looms high above the lakes.
IMO trains and public transports are the way to go in Switzerland for a first-time tourists - heck up in the Jungfrau Region at least you cannot even drive past Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen but must pay dearly to park you car - Wengen, a perpetual favorite with Fodorites for a quiet base with arguable the finest views in the area - cannot even be reached by car - ditto Murren, another popular high-altitude base.
For lots on train travel - and the Swiss Pass which if there 15 days and traveling around is almost a no-brainer IMO - 15-consecutive day pass covers nearly all trains (except those only going to mountain tops and then it usually gives you 50% off those - ditto for aerial gondolas, etc. but the pass also covers practically everything else that moves in Switzerland - postal buses - city trams and buses - lake boats and free entry to 400+ Swiss museums and sights.
I always spotlight these info-laden sites for anyone pondering a Swiss rail journey - www.swisstravelsystem.com - has links to Swiss Federal Railways and lake boats and specialty scenic trains like the Glacier Express and the Bernina Express (this one to me is the most scenic train ride in Europe, period, going up and over the rugged Bernina Pass from St Moritz down into Italy) - and www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com (Check out his info on Gimmelwald, which many think is responsible for putting this remote farming hamlet that is easily reached by a thrilling aerial cableway on the map) and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - be sure to download the latter's free (and superb IMO) European Planning & Rail Guide that has a nice chapter on Switerland with itinerary suggestions like you seek. And the best resource i have seen is right here on Fodor's where there is a bevy of Swiss experts - some of whom even reside in Switzerland and have shown are happy to share the expertise and advice - so keep posing questions.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Palenque has given good advice. I have visited many areas of Switzerland, but the Jungfrau Region is still my favorite. There is plenty to do and see in that area if you like walking. I have been there a couple of times in October and it can be sunny and beautiful, but also pretty cool at higher elevations. watching the farmers bringing down their herds from the mountain meadows can be a lot of fun. Gimmelwald in my opinion has been ruined by Rick Steeves. I have been going there since 1972. No longer a secret since he has told the whole world about it. Still worth a visit though.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 07:06 AM

to vary your trip you could spend a few days in the Zermatt (Matterhorn) area and also on Lake Montreux - to get a taste of French-speaking Switzerland

From Interlaken you could hop the fabled Golden Pass scenic train right to Montreux - spend a few days there - seeing the famous Chillon Castle, on the lake near Montreux, and take lake boats around Lake LeMan (a k a Lake Geneva) - even over to Evian-les-Bains France - railpasses are valid on the boats as well.

Or from a Montreux base you could take the Chocolate Train, a special tourist train that takes you first to Gruyeres - a fine walled old town and also visits a cheese factory there and then the train rolls on to Broc to do a Willy Wonka tour thru the Nestle chocolate factory. On the train - consisting of Belle Epoque Pullman cars you get wine and cheese en route.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 10:56 AM

I third the Lauterbrunnen Valley. I have been there many times since my first visit in 72 and it is still my favorite vacation spot.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 12:36 PM

Both valleys are very different and if you stay in one then be sure to visit the other as well. The Grindelwald valley is indeed a huge amphitheatre but the Lauterbrunnen Valley a deep narrow valley that gets much less sun - each has its own lures and though i prefer Grindelwald's because of the amphitheatre type nearly 360 degree splendor Lauterbrunnen's is more awesome perhaos becuase right near town you have the highest waterfall in the area - Staubbach Falls that lends a surrealistic touch - and the views of the sun setting on the rose-huge Jungfrau Massif at the end of the narrow valley is awe-inspiring as well.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 02:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Binayak,

Maybe this will be helpful (maybe not?)...
our first (and only) trip to Switzerland went like this:

Arrived Zurich airport and picked up a car.
Drove to Appenzell and then stayed the night in Triesenberg, Liechtenstein.
Spent the morning/early afternoon in Liechtenstein and wound up in Bivio for 1 night (by St. Moritz). Nothing special here, it was a small village and looked nice.
St. Moritz for 1 night (returned the car here)
Took the Glacier Express to Zermatt.
Zermatt for 3 nights
Wengen (Berner Oberland) for 4 nights
Luzern fir 3 nights
Took the train to Zurich airport from Luzern

Our favorite place was Wengen. No contest... and that's saying something, as everywhere we went on our trip, the scenery was stunning.

Probably wouldn't bother with a car again. The ideal way to travel in Switzerland is by train.

Paul
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM

We plan to visit in October for 2 weeks .This is my first trip.Can you suggest an itinery.We are fond of lakes and Mountains.>

Based on dozens of trips to various parts of Switzerland here is what i would suggest for a first-time visitor for 15 days

1-Land in Zurich - spend day there
2-Zurich itself
3-Lucerne
4-Lucerne
5-Lucerne
6-Via Bernina Pass route take the Golden Pass specialty scenic train to Interlaken-Ost - transfer to train to Wengen via Lauterbrunnen
7 Wengen
8 Wengen
9 Wengen
10 Wengen
11 Golden Pass train Interlaken to Montreux via Zweisimmen
12 Monreux/Vevey
13 Montreux/Vevey
14 Montreux/Vevey
15 Geneva or Zurich - depending on what airport you want to return from - preferably Geneva so you can see this neat and interesting city too.

I'll expand later on what possibilities to do in each base.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 05:22 PM

My husband and I visited the Jungfrau area (rented an apartment in Lauterbrunnen) in Sept 09 and it was fantastic. Highly recommend that area!
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 08:46 AM

I'll expand later on what possibilities to do in each base.

3-Lucerne
4-Lucerne
5-Lucerne

Lucerne is a great base - the town itself is small and there is not that much you 'have' to see there - so spend one day out on Lake Lucerne - getting off the boats somewhere - like to go up Mt Rigi - one of Switzerland's most celebrated outlook places - with a vista over practically the whole spine of the Swiss Alps to the east and south. Mark Twain wrote about climbing upto Rigi in one of his books.
You can take a boat to Weggis and then take an aerial cable car up to the Rigi summit and for variety take a mountain train back down to the lake at Vitznau, to reboard the boats.
Either float back to Lucerne or head south to the tip of the lake at Fluelen from where you can hop a train back to Lucerne in just a few minutes.
Lake Lucerne is IMO the finest of many very fine Swiss lakes - it's fjord-like, and hemmed in on three sides by mountains.
Lake boats have restaurants and bars on board and you can bring your own picnic supplies as well - ah a nice sunny day sitting outside on these steamers to me is one of the nicest things to do in Switzerland.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

We are in our mid fifties and will be joined by our son of late 20's.we land in Zurich in early Oct 10.Spend 2 weeks.
I want to take the Glacier express from St Moritz to Zermatt among other things.In our last visit some 20 years back we were in Lucerne and up Mt Titlis so skip Lucern .Can you suggest an itinery?
will avail the swiss travel pass and do not plan to drive.Is it possible to centre two or three places so that we do not have to move every night.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 08:45 AM

Binayak - yes - the Jungfrau Region is a great place for several days - so many varied things to do - Alpine excursions, lake boats - a day on each lake is great IMO, etc.

Then take the Golden Pass specialty scenic train from Interlaken to Montreux on Lake Geneva - again lots of day trips here - Chateau Chillon, Vevey, the Chocolate Train, lake boats to Evian-les-Bains in France and several tiny mountain train rides

Next base - Zermatt

Then take the Glacier Express for the whole day to St Moritz - another nice base - from it do the Bernina Pass rail route - with another scenic tourist-oriented train like the Glacier Express - the Bernina Express - IMO the most scenic train by far in Switzerland - as it goes up and over the Bernina Pass at near 10,000 alt - the only rail line to cross up and over the Alps north to south - all others burrow thru the Alps - like the Simplon and Gotthard rail lines. Up top is a wonder world of placid Alpine lakes, glaciers, hiking trails - a Top of the World look and feel - you could go down into Italy to Torino, where the Bernina rail line ends but for most just taking the train about an hour from St Moritz to Alp Grum and the summit area - doing the walk around the Alpine lake to the glaciers is the highlight - a great day up in the Alps

Then St Moritz is a straight shot back to Zurich, via Chur
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Palenque If I take an apartment for a week in Interlaken would it be possible to take day trips to Geneva and Montreux and other local places in around Interlaken?

After spending a week we will move to Zermatt for a couple of nights to take the Glacier express to reach St Moritz and spend 2 nights there.

Take the Bernina express from St Moritz and finally return to Zurich for our flight home.

Your comments please
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 08:31 AM

Binayak - well it is possible but it depends on how much time you want to spend on the train - You could take the Golden Pass scenic train from Interlaken to Montreux - just for the lovely ride and then bat around Montreux or Vevey for a while and take a train back to Interlaken via the mainline via Bern quicker than the Golden Pass route. For Geneva i would just take the mainline route via Bern each way - but you are talking about 5-6 hours actual time on the train - no problem for me because i consider the train itself as a way to see the wonderful scenery - sit back and relax. Others think more than a few hours on the train is too much.

Many indeed find the 8-hour marathon ride on the Glacier Express tedious - scenery is not scenic but not spectacular most of the way - but it is a utilitarian way and about the only way by train to go between Zermatt and St Moritz in one day. There is a lovely alternate option to go between Zermatt and St Moritz besides the Glacier Express - the route via Brig - Simplon Tunnel - Domodossola - Centovalli train (another scenic train) to Locarno and train to Lugano - stay overnight in Lugano -then take the dramatic Majola Pass postal bus to St Moritz.
Lugano itself would make a nice substitute base for Montreux and Lake Geneva - some neat bus rides into hills - lake boats and the chance to take a boat to a bit of Italy. Lugano is a fine city on a fine lake - Italian-speaking and Italian-feel but Swiss prices. alas!

But i would dwell more on closer day trips in the Berner Oberland area - i'll come back with some suggestions.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM

Binayak:
Seems like Palenque and I continue to be the minority of two favoring Interlaken as a practical base for daily train/cable rides to places like Wengen, Lauterbrunnen Murren, Grindelwald, up to Jungfrau, etc. This past October turned out to be a very good choice for us...crowds had nearly disappeared(just a small handful of people on each train). We stayed on the shores of the tranquil and beautiful River Aare, with a lovely 15-min. walk along the riverside promenade to Ost station, where we caught the trains, or across the pictured footbridge 10-minutes to Interlaken center.

These pics may give you some ideas of the "neighborhood"
villages, etc. (best viewed as "slide show")

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuartto...rOberland2009#
Stu Tower
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Count me as #3 for Interlaken as a base. Have been there twice, but with a car. Its location is central to many sights, and trains are plentiful.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Tower:
your pictures are stunning.We plan to spend a week in an an apartment.Problem is I am not driving and having difficulty in finding a place close to Interlaken OST.There a some close to Interlaken West.Any suggestions?
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 06:47 AM

Bin:

We did not drive on the Switzerland portion of our October trip. Found it very convenient to stay in Interlaken as I said in my above post. I highly recommend the hotel in the pix..The Goldey Swiss, on the north shore of the River Aare. Excellent choice. Again, only 10-15 minute level, easy walk to Ost Station...and ten minute, level, pleasant walk to center of town, over the footbridge you see in the pix.

stu

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -