violins and cremona

Apr 26th, 2001, 06:13 PM
cindy

violins and cremona

yet another question! looks as if we will have time after all to visit cremona - my husband plays the violin. has anyone been there? places to stay, eat, any particular place to go to see the art of violin making? we will be arriving milan airport at 8am and then want to catch a train to cremona (about l hour). the next morning back to milan to catch our train to rome? any other ideas for l day trip. we're saving lakes for another trip? thanks.

Apr 27th, 2001, 12:57 PM
nancy

topping you

Apr 27th, 2001, 01:20 PM
KT

I don't know how much help this will be, but I've day-tripped to Cremona (from Parma) and enjoyed it. I was there for the architecture more than the violins. The central square, the Piazza del Comune, is a nice ensemble, especially the Romanesque Duomo. There is also a local style of palazzo facade with lots of terracotta ornamentation, and it's generally a pleasant place to explore.

As for violins, there's the Stradivarius museum and there are violinmakers' studios all over the place. I'm sure you can arrange visits. I did a quick search and found this site: http://www.graffiti.it/violin/welcome.html.

Apr 27th, 2001, 04:31 PM
Joy

I visited Cremona several years ago and really enjoyed it. I talked with a violin maker through his open window as I walked around the square, he invited me in and showed me all his work in progress. The Stradivarius museum is very interesting.

Apr 27th, 2001, 05:06 PM

Apr 28th, 2001, 02:52 AM
cindy

thanks for the replies.

Apr 28th, 2001, 04:57 AM
nospam

How far is Cremona from Verona?