Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

vineyards in tuscany available by public transportation?

Apr 26th, 2001, 06:03 AM
steph

Hi - we're heading off to italy in 2 weeks and will be in Florence for about 5 days. We really have our heart set on going to at least a few vineyards (we are wine lovers!) but won't have a car. does anyone know of vineyards that we can access via public transportation? I've done a search through the threads and they have has great info on various vineyards, but I haven't found any info on whether or not they can be accessed by transport other than a car (and we don't really want to do a group tour). Hope I'm not posting a redundant question. if so, let me know. Thanks!!

Apr 26th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Diane

I'd ask my hotel first. If you're not satisfied, visit one of the enotecas (sp?) and ask them for suggestions. I don't believe wineries are as accessible for tastings/tourings in Italy as they are in California. We're leaving in the same time-frame as you, so I can't give you info from experience, yet. The first place we are staying is on the Tuscany/Umbria border, and the owner is supposed to be a whiz at setting up such visits for his guests.

Apr 27th, 2001, 05:19 AM
R

rent a car for one to 2 days and forget the hassle of spending time searching for public transport... for $60 you'll be glad to have the freedom to wander the Chianti area, stop at your liking, and not get into a "tourist trap:...where a bus drops 40 people at once ...get the picture? worth the freedom for $30 a day. Enjoy!!!

Apr 27th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Liz

Steph, try www.christinastour.com
She does private tours of Chianti which sound great! If we were not renting a car we would go on one of her tours in a heartbeat. Have a great time!

Apr 28th, 2001, 04:54 AM
nospam

I can't imagine four people in the car shown on the christina website. Anybody else have other ideas for a group of four?

Apr 28th, 2001, 04:58 AM
s.fowler

I've looked at her website -- she looks great! [and no this is *not* an ad!] How about asking her if she could get a bigger car? You could cover the car rental? That way you will have room and guidance.