Reload this Page >

Village near Heathrow?

Search

Village near Heathrow?

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:17 PM
Kate

Village near Heathrow?

Can anyone recommend a nice village or town with easy public transport access to Heathrow for the last two days of our holiday in the UK? We begin our stay with a week in London, starting June 7th, then the 2nd in Edinburgh, returning to London and arriving at Kings Cross station late afternoon on Saturday, June 22nd. We have a hotel booked for that evening and the next, our last, in Southwark, near the Tate Modern, but as I look at street maps, I'm beginning to worry about it's being so close to the Southwark Bridge and Cannon Street Rail line. My "intuition" tells me that spending our last two nights in this location might be a big mistake and perhaps we should seek somewhere quieter. Some place we could continue on to from Kings Cross. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:46 PM
Tony

I don't know whether this fits your needs or not, but I can recommend it to all travellers as the perfect place to stay to relax either after arriving at, or prior to departing Heathrow.<BR>The village is called Streatley, which sits right on the River Thames, and across the river from Goring, which is where the railway station is.<BR>The hotel is called the Swan, again right on the river, and an easy walk from Goring station. It is quiet, comfortable and has excellent terraces, gardens,bars and food, and the surrounding scenery and walks are idyllic.<BR>Streatley is situated 10 miles north of Reading, and 20 miles South of Oxford.<BR>To reach it from London there are direct trains from Paddington, approx.hourly. To return to Heathrow, you catch the train to Reading, from where there are frequent shuttle buses to Heathrow. All up, just over an hour from the hotel to the airport.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:33 AM
Simone

Chiswick in west London is on the tube line to Heathrow.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:37 AM
Wayne

The Swan Hotel, at Streatley-on-Thames, is indeed a romantic and charming place to stay if you can afford the time to get there and back. Another place, only about 15 minutes from Heathrow and also very charming, is the village of Windsor (with the famous castle). There are several hotels there, some of them right on the Thames, and it's a nice place to spend a couple of days. The castle is a bonus for exploring. From Windsor, a taxi right to your terminal at Heathrow is the best bet and not too expensive.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:00 AM
Kate

Thank you Tony, Wayne and Simone. Streathly-on-Thames sounds lovely...so does Windsor. Chiswick? Simone, if you get a chance, perhaps you can expand abit as to why you like this village. At the moment, I have to admit the idea of wandering around hand-in-hand with my hubby, being close to the Thames and staying in a romantic hotel is very appealing. So I'm off to search the web for more information, and to cancel our reservations for Southwark. Thank you again for your suggestions and travel details. If you were here I'd give you a big hug.;-))<BR>Cheers, <BR>Kate

Old May 24th, 2002, 12:01 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Cookham is a pretty village, on the Thames, with hotels and restaurants.<BR><BR>Transport via Maidenhead or Windsor and taxi<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR>