Villa Rosmarino, Camogli

Search

Villa Rosmarino, Camogli

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Villa Rosmarino, Camogli

A few posters appear to know this property well and it looks quite lovely.
There is, however, often the mention of the 20 minute walk down steps into town.
I have a problematic knee that won't allow for a lot of stairs (at least not after the first time!).
Is there another way to access town from the hotel- such as driving?
Thanks!
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 09:52 AM

You can drive, but when you get to town, you may not be able to find a parking space. There is a bus that runs pretty much hourly between 8am and 8pm.

What goes down must go up. If you go down, you will either need to walk back up, or else take a bus (not possible after dinner) or a taxi. You might not mind the taxi fees, but you should check with the Villa to find out what they are. The switchback road is actually much longer than taking the stairs up, and the basic fare and charge per km is high in Camogli.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 09:54 AM

PS: I should elaborate that there is paid parking in town, but during summer, the lots fill up quickly. If you are coming outside of the summer, only the weekends get crowded.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response.
This looks like a lovely town- and it is summer.
After some research I thought it would be a nice base for a few days and the hotel has a room available.
I haven't found much similar to this property in the area, so please make alternative, more accessible suggestions if you have them!
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Been there three times and love Camogli. We have stayed at www.cenobio.com each time. There is parking and it is very easy walking the towm from the hotel. Richard camogli3d.com/foto_camogli.asp
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 11:56 AM

In that price category, you might as well consider I Tre Merli, but it has no pool. Check Tripadvisor reviews (I don't stay in these places because I live in Liguria). You do need to climb some stairs to get in and out of the hotel.

http://www.locandaitremerli.com/en/

I take if you've already considered and rejected Cenobio dei Doge and La Casmona. If you stay up at the Portofino Kulm, they run a shuttle bus between it and Cenobio dei Doge for their guests. Two things to be aware of with the Portofino Kulm: It is so high up, that if there is morning fog, it obscures the views. And there is a helicopter pad nearby (which is the only way people can get building materials to their houses if they are doing renovations). The helicopter is not in use every day -- but it is sometimes! Also, you may find weddings up there on weekends.

http://www.portofinokulm.it/eng/Default.asp

If you can go without a sea view, the Hotel Tiguillo et de Milan is a boutique hotel in the historic and cool caruggi of Santa Margherita Ligure, next door to Camogli, just a 5 minute train ride away:

http://www.hoteltigullio.eu/index.htm

Further afield, without a sea view but with a pool and parking, and in the very lovely town of Moneglia, closer to le Cinque Terre, is Abbadia San Giorgio:

http://www.abbadiasangiorgio.com/

This is a thousand times simpler than Villa Rosmarino and it has no pool, but it requires a minimum of stairwalking to reach parking, the bus and several very good eateries. It is perched in the town above Camogli with fantastic seaviews. A 10 minute gorgeous walk brings to you the tiny hamlet of San Rocco di Camogli. A bus will take you to Camogli, or Santa Margherita Ligure or Rapallo in 20 minutes. (That's true of Villa Rosmarino, too). But unlike Villa Rosmarino, you can walk on mostly flat ground to excellent restaurants at night in the village, plus a good bakery and a good bar in the afternoon for lunch if you hang around instead of going on a day trip, or come back early for cocktails. But it's not boutique. It's a plain b&b.

http://www.larosabiancadiportofino.com/home_en.html

I don't know if you've come across the posts of "macdougman" (or is it "macdougmom" --?) but she recently stayed in Villa Rosmarino and she might know how much a taxi costs and whether the bus is workable from that location.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 12:03 PM

PS: If you end up interested in the Portofino Kulm, confirm directly with the hotel that the shuttle bus to Cenobio dei Doge is in operation and free to its guests.