Reload this Page >

Villa Farnese in Rome - getting in

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Suzanne

I am interested in seeing the Villa Farnese ( I hope I spelled it right) in Rome. It is a private villa but it is supposed to have some fabulous paintings and mural rooms. But it is supposed to be by appointment only. <BR> <BR>Has anyone been there and how did you get an appointment?

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 04:48 AM
Walter

Hi Suzanne: "Little Known Museums In And Around Rome" guidebook says that the Farnese Palace is in Caprarola (70KM North of Rome). Palazzo Farnese is open Monday-Saturday, Nov-Feb, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; March 9 a.m.-6 p.m.: April, May and September, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. and June-Aug, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Admission 4000 lire. Tel. 011-39- 761-646-052. <BR> You mentioned you might be unsure of the spelling? There is also a Villa Farnesina in Rome (Trastevere) that's open Mon-Sat 9am-1pm. Via della Lungara N. 230 tel# 06/880-1767. It says it can be reached by the 23, 65 & 280 Bus (I assume from Termini). HTH Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 07:26 PM
orlando

Walter is almost entirely correct, except that there is also a Palazzo Farnese in Rome, a Renaissance architectural jewel which is closed to the public because it houses the French embassy. It is almost directly across the river from the Villa Farnesina, in the Campo di Fiore district. As I understand it, there is no possibility of touring it, but, aside from it's architectural value and some interior decoration, I'm not aware of any collection of fabulous paintings. The Farnese family collection was dispersed 200 years ago.

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 05:28 AM
Suzanne

Thanks for the info. I am interested in seeing the Villa Farnesina. The DK guide said you need an appointment to get in and a letter of admitance, unless that is only for a special collection in the villa. <BR> <BR>Any other comments would be appreciated.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Betsy Thompson

Visited the interior of the Villa Farnesina with Scale Reale in September and saw the outside of the Palazzo Farnese. It is the French Embassy and open only a couple of days a year. Supposedly their $1/yr lease with the Italian govt is expiring in the next year or so and the Italians are hopeful of arranging more visiting opportunities.