Bruge and St Malo hotel recommendations

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 03:10 AM
mast

Bruge and St Malo hotel recommendations

Hi!
any hotel recommendation in Bruge (Belgium)and St Malo(France)?

Thanks!
mast

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Kate

I know both those places and they're really nice - but don't know any hotels there. Good luck anyway!

Kate

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Ruth

Hi! When we visited Brugges 2 years ago November, we went to the Tourist Information Center (the big "i")and got set up there no problem with a nice big room, big clean bath and breakfast included that was very reasonable and nicely centrally located (sorry, can't remember the name!). They will give you a listing of the available places with a picture, a price, what's included and a map showing where it is. Then we selected a couple choices, they called the hotel and set things up and gave us detailed directions on how to get there. We did this all through Belgium and had grat luck. This was the only European trip we have taken where I did not alrady ahave all the reservations set up, but we had rentd a car and had no set itinerary and decided to try it. It was great! Have fun!

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 09:24 AM
lisa

What is your price range?

In early June I was in Bruges and stayed at the Hotel Cordoeanier which is in a great location near the Markt, walking distance to everything. It is only a simple 2-star though, and while comfortable, is not luxurious by any means. The price was about $50 US per night for a single, including a very good breakfast and tax. It had a balcony, TV, and private bath. I would stay there again, although if you want something romantic or charming you should probably look elsewhere.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Catherine

Last year I stayed at the HOTEL BOURGOENSCHE CRUYCE in Bruges. The location is wonderful, right on a canal and near the main square. The room was very large for one person and I had a good rate from booking on the Internet. I choose the hotel because of it excellent restaurant-which was closed during my stay! I don't have any personal recommendations for St. Malo, but this month's (Nov. 2001) Travel & Leisure magazine has an article about the city.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 11:12 AM
Thyra

Hi There, we are planning on staying at the Prinsenhof in Brugge. Based upon good reviews on this forum, and the rants and raves section as well. Good luck!

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 11:25 AM
trying

Like Lisa, we stayed at the Hotel Cordoeanier. Really enjoyed it and the location was great (on a quite street about one minute from the square(s).

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 11:38 AM
curt

Hotel Prinsenhof is wonderful. I suggest it unless it is out of your price range. Very nice rooms, great staff (the owners are young couple that also run it)and excellent breakfast. Another plus is the parking provided if you are driving.

This is a 4 star hotel and is one of the best European hotels we have ever stayed in. Central location as well.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 12:21 PM
jean

How about a wonderful B & B in Brugge? Koen & Annemie Dielten have a beautiful home only a few minutes walk from the Burg. For about $45US a night they offer double or twin rooms with private bath, t.v., daily maid service and a wonderful breakfast. See their website at http://users.skynet.be/dieltiens. We stayed their in September and it was quite comfortable.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Judy

I stayed at"Hotel Du Louvre" inside walled town St.Malo March this year. 2 stars,FF280 per night, clean and very helhful staff,central located, 5 minutes walk to bus stop and market, several good restaurants with 2 blocks,laundromat around the corner.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 05:56 PM
mast

Thanks everybody!
we found that some hotels include breakfast but some don't. is it a norm for european hotels to include breakfast?

regards,

teck lock

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 12:37 AM
Sue

We stayed at Hotel Central in St. Malo (a Best Western--easy to book) for 600 FF, which included breakfast. Usually French hotels don't include breakfast in my experience, but other European and UK hotels do. French hotels also did back in the day, but I think they found that it was a way to sneakily raise prices.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Patrick

We stayed in St. Malo at the Hotel de la Cite, quite reasonable and built right into the actual walls of the old city. We had a spectacular view with even a big window out of our bathroom. It was a very friendly staff who also sent us detailed directions of how to arrive with the car at the hotel which could be difficult with the many pedestrian streets and limited access to the old city. They also had parking.
Last time in Brugge we stayed at the small Hotel Azalea, a three star, I believe with a wonderful older lady manager who took great care of us. She rented us bicycles and yelled at the guy that if he brought us anything but the best, we wouldn't accept them. The hotel was nice, but certainly won't win any prizes for decor. Next summer we are upping the budget and staying at the Prinsenhof. We were warned that "The Swan" although lovely is noisy beyond belief due to the constant tour boats right outside the windows.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Anna

I stayed several days at the Hotel Hansa, about a block or two from the Markt square on a quiet, one-way side street. The staff was wonderfully nice (and kindly sent and received several faxes for me--thanks to U.S. Airways for losing my luggage), there was a delicious cold breakfast buffet (variety of breads, meats, cheeses, cereals, fruits, etc.), they have a gym in the basement, there is free Internet access in the lobby, the rooms are clean and bright, etc. I paid about 4000 BF per night (just shy of $100) and thought it was worth every cent. A little gem!

P.S.--You can check it out at www.hansa.be