Search

villa d'este

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
villa d'este

Would love feedback from anyone who has stayed at the Villa D'este on Lake Como. Before I shell out big bucks I would love to hear some opinions from people who have stayed there. On tripadvisor there is very mixed reviews- everything from the rooms not being much better than a Holiday Inn to one of the most magical places on Earth. Please help me decide. My other choice would be villa serbelloni.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM

I've stayed there three times so obviously I like it. None of my rooms were like a Holiday Inn. Both of my rooms in the original villa were huge and beautifully appointed with either a terrace or balcony overlooking the lake. Once we stayed in the "new" villa and that room was also gorgeous and had a lovely view of the lake. On weekends they have a band set up lakeside and there is dancing on the terrace. Very romantic. The gardens are lovely. Breakfasts are immense-lots of choices on the buffet and they have a chef there to make omelets and such. Dinner was very good but the restaurant is expensive and for a change of pace we'd go into Cernobbio or Como for pizza or something less than a gourmet meal.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 04:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think choosing between the Villa d'Este and the Serbelloni depends on what kind of vacation/stay you're looking for and to some extent the date of your visit.

If you plan to be busy exploring the lake by ferry, I think the Serbelloni is more convenient to frequent ferry service. The downside is that Bellagio is very crowded during the day in high season.

The Villa d'Este, in my opinion, is better suited to guests who want to "get away from it all" and spend some very comfortable down time in a beautiful hotel. (Of course, lazing around the Serbelloni's pool/terrace doesn't sound too bad either.) The down side is the less-than-frequent ferry access to other parts of the lake.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 04:38 PM

I have stayed at both. Villa D'este is way more formal, stuffy almost. The rooms are very nice, huge bathrooms. The spa is superlative. It is also alot more $$$, a bit more remote, though you can walk into town for more casual food as a previous poster mentioned. Serbelloni has a better view of the lake IMO, but the rooms are far more rustic than posh, very nice mind you, but not 4seasons nice. You have alot more dining choices. IMO Serbelloni is almost free compared to Villa D'este. They both have there charm, you really cannot go wrong either way. We are going back in Sept and are going to both Serbelloni on Como and the Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees in Stresa on Lake Maggiore. Have a great trip.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be traveling to Lake Como at the end of July after a biking trip from Prague to Vienna, so I was looking for somewhere relaxing to chill for a few days before heading home to the States. We do want to see the village of Bellagio having heard so much about it and hope that we can do that on a day trip from Villa D'Este
without too much difficulty.

Thanks for all your thoughts. I really appreciate your input
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:23 PM

I've stayed several times, both in the original building, as well as the newer building. For a getaway to rest and relax, I would myself choose Villa D'Este. The Spa is VERY nice, the sheets and bedding are terrific, but I think the furniture may be newer in the newer wing, the ones in the main building may seem a little "time tested". I liked the newer wing, since it was a little more secluded, and the rooms with a view are fantastic.
The food is amazing, although expensive, the gardens are also amazing and peaceful. You can easily walk down to the road to the strip of shops, and one with one of the best cups of coffee we have ever had. The concierge also is someone that can get you virtually anything, and into anywhere.
It does alot of repeat business with "regulars", and that is why some may view it as "stuffy".
It all boils down to what you are looking for, it is no "modern" hotel, but maybe a slice of life from the earlier more relaxed travel days.