Help with Line-ups at Louvre, d'Orsay, Tour Eiffel & Notre Dame

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2007, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've decided to forego the museum pass for my trip to Paris (first week in July) because it will cost twice the admission I intend to spend. Without special access privileges, do you have any tips to avoid excessively long line-ups? I'm planning on going to Louvre, d'Orsay and Notre Dame as early as I can in the morning - should that help? Is Sunday noticeably busier at Notre Dame than other days? Are there other line-ups at any other sight that I should try and minimize?
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
For Notre Dame - except for the climb up the tower you don't really have any lines. Sure things back up sometimes - but generally you can just walk in. The tower climb has a queue w/ or w/o a pass.

The Louvre has so many entrances you can find one that isn't crammed.

The Musee d'Orsay isn't a problem IF you buy your ticket ahead of time. Go to the advance ticket kiosk window and buy a ticket for a later time.
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:20 PM

The second week in April all of these venues were very busy and had lines. It was spring break in Paris. I would guess the same will hold true with summer visitors in July.

Eiffel Tower: On a Friday, the lines to all four ticket booths snaked all around the base of the Tower, out the Seine-side entry and around the carousel. No kidding! I've never seen anything like it. On the advice of a person in the info booth we came back on Monday morning and were in line by 8:45 a.m. (booth opens at 9:00) and got up with no problem.

Louvre: In February we went on the first Sunday of the month. It's free that day and we were surprised at the short lines. In April we had no problems, basically, because we go in through the Carousel mall entrance rather than the Pyramid. MUCH quicker and easier (and in July, cooler to be standing in line inside than outside!).

Notre Dame: During Spring break there was, indeed, a line outside (on a Monday) to get into the church (the steps to the tower above were closed). There was a gentleman letting us in in groups. The line looked very long, but went very fast.
D'Orsay: I've always encountered lines regardless of the day or time, but I DO use a museum pass and it gets you in quickly.

Rethink the museum pass. Your time spent on line during vacation is certainly worth something.

Hve a great trip!
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:26 PM

Other things that have worked for me...

- visiting late - used to be Mon&Wed for the Louvre and Thurs for the Orsay, but double-check; note however that certain wings of the Louvre will be closed during evening hours (you can check online to see what's closed in the evening)

- use the entrance from the metro stop thru the mall to get into the Louvre at stop Palais Royale/Musee du Louvre or enter the mall from the street on rue de Rivoli. These seemed to be less used and you don't get the line back-up that you do at the pyramid entrance from the metal detectors.

- avoid the Orsay on the day when the Louvre is closed - since all the museum crowds are more likely to focus there.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Excellent advice. The reason I'm not getting the museum pass is because I'll be there for 5 days and, since I don't want to try and cram all museums into one or two days, I'd have to pay over $100 Euros for the 5 day pass - I really only want to 5 of the places it covers. I'm convinced that there are cheaper ways to avoid the excessive line-ups (line-ups of 30 mins or so are expected and more-than-tolerable).

I did buy a Louvre one-day pass on-line for $15 US which will get me through the fast entry.

The only pass I could advance-purchase on the d'Orsay website is only good for after 6pm on a Wednesday and that's my last night in Paris so I DON'T want to spend it in a museum. I love janisj's suggestion of pre-buying a ticket at the kiosk to use at a later time.

Thanks to all!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
there is no 5 day museum pass. You may be looking at out of date info. The passes are for 2, 4 or 6 days. Maybe consider a 2-day pass for some of the biggies. But since you already have a louvre ticket - it probably won't pencil out.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:47 AM

Actually, the price for a 6 day museum pass is only 60E and a 4 day is 45E. http://www.parismuseumpass.com/en/pass_tarif.php
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:46 AM

For the D'Orsay , I book tickets thru the FNAC website and pick them up at my leisure . The D'Orsay tickets are 6.80€ . There are Fnac locations spread around Paris, I use the one on Blvd. St Germain, nr St Michel.

The first part of the website is in French but is easy to figure out after you click reserve you have the option to switch to English.

Try here http://www.fnacspectacles.com/place-...H15--MORS2.htm

For the Louvre we use the Carousel entrance too.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Interesting - the Paris Pass I found (obviously from an unreputable website - poor investigating on my part) was 149 Euros! You're right about the 6-days - I'm only staying 5 days so I got mixed up. Anyway, here's where I'd found the Paris Pass:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Paris/Th...rrencyCode=EUR

I'll re-do the math to see what "pencils out" (I love that expression!).
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:56 PM

looks like that Paris Pass is a different product (includes transportation in zone 1 - 3 and some tours by the looks of things, but also says you can only go to each thing once). I guess it depends on what you were planning to do for transportation. We aren't going until next year, but I was definitely planning on getting a museum pass for the "popping in" option. We are going with our kids (ages 7 and 10) and I am imagining that (for example) 2 short visits to the Louvre on different days may go over better than 1 long one - which wouldn't work with the Paris Pass you found.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

No kidding - that was ONE of the reasons that I'd decided not to get it (aside from the cost). In any event, it still might be worth my while to get the Pass that you guys turned me on to. If this lesson costs me the $15USD Louvre Pass then so be it (I've learned WAY more expensive lessons in my life!).
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM

Official museum pass website can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/2ln2uk

I recommend a museum pass. You can buy them at any participating museum once you are in Paris. The pass allows for unlimited entry to the museums, which is a great option to have if things get too crowded for you during any particular time. Also, you might come across places that look interesting enough for you to pop in for a quick look. And, if you go in somewhere and hate it, you can leave without feeling like you're wasting money.

When you consider the entire cost of you trip, spending less than $100 for that sort of flexiblity is worth it, IMO.

Have a great trip, you will love Paris

ps: I found the Louvre to be much less crowded in the evening, like another poster has already suggested.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:20 PM

Dummy me, Canada_V already posted the the link to the website
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

What about the Eiffel Tower? Are there any cheeky ways to avoid excessive line-ups there (other than getting there early)? It's not listed on the pass so it seems that it's a much more democratic attraction.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:02 PM

If you're eating at the Jules Verne restaurant, you can skip the lines at the Eiffel Tour. But it's super expensive, and you need a reservation. But you don't get a view of the Eiffel Tower from the Eiffel Tower. We went up the Tour Montparnasse - it includes the view of the Eiffel Tower!! I've done both now, and I have to admit I enjoyed Montparnasse more, and the view from the Arc de Triomphe is spectacular!! I know, you have to do the Eiffel Tower, but try it at night. Might be less of a line. Also, do L'Orangerie if you love Monet. Absolutely spectacular!!
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:29 AM

FYI - the Louvre website says that late open days are Friday and Wednesday
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Great information! Thanks.
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:48 AM

The name of the museum is Orsay, not d'Orsay, just as it's the Louvre, and not the du Louvre.
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

So, it's probably better to say "I'm going to l'Orsay"?
Old May 26th, 2007, 07:06 AM

It's more correct, but it's still an unnecessary mix of French and English. Just say "I'm going to the Orsay Museum."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -