Reload this Page >

Villa Borgese in Rome

Search

Villa Borgese in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Allison Clark

Villa Borgese in Rome

The Villa Borgese in Rome was clearly one of the highlights of our recent trip. But if you are going, please note the following things: first, you must reserve tickets in advance. You can either do this over the phone, or go directly to the gallery and buy them directly for a specific date and time. Second, be prompt for your allotted time, since you are only allowed two hours to view the museum. The museum is strict about the two hour time limit, and actually empties out the gallery at the end of the two hour time slot. In other words, if your ticket is for 9am, the gallery is emptied out at about 10:55 before the next group is allowed in. They are serious, and there is no appealing to the guards for more time. Third, see if you can get two sets of tickets for consecutive viewings. There is a LOT to see in this museum, and we didn't find that two hours was enough. The entrance fee is 12,000 lira (about $6 when we where there) so buying two sets of tickets, while not cheap, is not terribly expensive. There are some amazing Bernini scupltures that one could easily watch for an hour each, so the time will not be wasted seeing this museum twice.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Larry

I am not a 'museum" person but loved the Villa Borghese. The Bernini work is awesome. Don't miss it. Allison was right on.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 09:14 AM
the turnip

Another vote for the Villa B.! <BR> <BR>How they did what they did, in marble no less, is simply breathtaking. I'd make it a "must see" for a Rome trip. <BR> <BR>Cheers, the turnip

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Judy

Lovely museum, picturesque setting, the mosaics were incredible too...Judy

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Ellen

ABSOLUTELY! One of my favorite places in Rome (Vatican excluded from list as it is in a catagory all its own). The Bernini Statues brought tears to my eyes. I could have spent 2 hrs just downstairs. I wish I had thought to get two sets of tickets & go round again!