Views from Train - east coast of Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning my route, and I have a few options. One is taking a train up east coast of Italy from Ancona to Venice (we may or may not stop at towns on the way). Does anyone know if this route has ocean or other scenic views? Thanks.
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Hello again Maire. I have never taken the train on the Adriatic Coast in Italy but I will suggest this.

If you are going to travel by train in the morning and if you do not want the sun beating down on you while traveling south to north along the Adriatic Coast than do sit on the left side of the train (left side facing the front of the train that is).

I have always travelled by auto along the Adriatic Coast in Italy so I do not know which side of the train is the most interesting viewwise..hopefully someone else here will..but I can tell you that one time being on the "sun side" of the train was horrible when I travelled via the train in Italy.
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:06 PM

The views of the ocean will last only as far as either Rimini or possibly Ravenna. After that the route will be inland.
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:42 AM

The railway is close to the coast between Ancona and Pesaro, but all you see is a series of beaches. That part of the coast is flat, and the scenery is better on the landward side of the train. At Rimini, you'll get a glimpse of the harbour, but the main line then goes inland to Bologna where you normally have to change trains for Venezia. If you want to break the journey, good options are Rimini, which has an attractive old town on the inland side of the railway, or Bologna.
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:15 AM

You'll need amazing eyesight to see any ocean, since the nearest one's about a thousand miles away.

The train's great for catching up on your reading, but has little else of interest. If you want to see things, drive, taking the slight detours to Ravenna and Urbino. Or better yet, the bigger detour to Sansepolcro and Citta di Castello.

Driving means you can head for Venice along the coast from Ravenna, hitting the lagoon at Chioggia. Rarely scenic, always (at least whenever we've driven it) spectacularly atmospheric. That melancholy, overcast Adriatic gloom is what all those books like Death in Venice are based on.
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone; you've given me very helpful info.

LoveItaly, I'll keep that in mind about where to sit, and how's your finger today?