Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Trained Down the East Coast of Italy..Rimini,Pesaro, Ancona, Pescara

Oct 14th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone taken the train along the east coast route down from Venice through Pescara.

Or has anyone visited Rimini, Pesaro, Ancona or Pescara ?

Our trip will start with a week in Venice and I thought maybe a week visiting a few of these towns by train followed by a week in Rome.

Any recommendations for accommodations ? 130 Euros max.

thanks
Oct 14th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Hi susiedq, I have travelled the coast line going south and also going east but by auto not by train.

We really always enjoyed the Hotel Carlton in Pescara, it is right across the street from the beach but they have renovated the hotel so it probably has a higher rate then you want to spend.

You might want to go to TripAdvisor and check out the various hotels as that should be a good way to give you an idea of what is available.

Have fun planning your time in Italy!!
Oct 14th, 2006, 02:20 PM

In September I took the train from Venice (and then back to) to Ancona before boarding the ferry for Croatia. I got a brief train view of the coast & then some walking in Ancona. I don't know what your interests are but, if you're looking for very picturesque coastline, I wouldn't recommend this portion of the east coast of Italy. It's very flat until you get to Ancona. The coast seemed to be an area for very middle class Italian beach vacations. Lots of caravan parks. I only spent a couple of hours in Ancona so my opinion may not be valid, but it had a very gritty feel about it.

Oct 16th, 2006, 01:06 PM

I've been to Rimini, which was quite pleasant. But the best thing IMO about this area is that you can visit the wonderful Urbino.